When it comes to mobile platforms, Windscribe is available on Android, iPhone, and Windows Mobile. Pretty much every VPN provider out there offers support for the first two while Windows Mobile usually gets left behind, so we applaud Windscribe for its decision to include it.
Windscribe is a very popular Canadian VPN provider that allows its users to choose between completely free and very budget-friendly service plans. It comes packed with numerous features and benefits and it supports all the popular platforms.
In this post, we will provide you with the full outline of Windscribe Android app, including installation guidelines, interface breakdown, and our professional opinion.
Installing Windscribe Android App
Note that you’ll have to purchase a premium version of Windscribe in order to install it on your Android device. Once you locate the chosen option in the Google Play Store, simply download it and your installation process can begin. Windscribe app is still in Beta, so be mindful of that fact if you happen to experience certain bugs or similar problems. You can always submit a support ticket and let the support staff handle any potential issues.
Windscribe Android app can be set up with OpenVPN and IKEv2. They’re both excellent security protocols, but we still prefer OpenVPN. Note that OpenVPN is much more difficult to block, but the overall experience will be slower. IKEv2, on the other hand, can be faster, but it’s much easier to block. So, in order to make the best choice for your particular needs, you’ll need to weigh the pros and cons of both protocols and decide on what you want/need more.
OpenVPN setup procedure goes as follows:
- Locate and download OpenVPN from Google Play.
- Download the configs on your mobile device (this is the part that requires a premium account).
- Open the config file you just downloaded.
- The app will try to import the config file. You can give it a different name, after which you can press the check mark button located in the top right corner.
- Edit the profile you just created. Checkmark “Use default Route” for IPv4 and IP6 sections. Then simply go back to the main screen.
- Tap on the profile you created to connect. You’ll be prompted to provide your username and password, which will not be the same ones you use for Windscribe login. Checkmark “Save password” and simply press OK.
- The bottom of the log should say “Initialization Sequence Completed” at this point. If it does, you’re now officially connected.
IKEv2 setup includes the following steps:
- Download StrongSwan Client from Google Play.
- Get your authentication credentials for StrongSwan app (this step requires a premium account).
- Tap “Add VPN Profile.”
- Enter server address, your username, and password as shown on the Profile Generator page. Again, your login data won’t be the same as the info you use for Windscribe.
- Tap “Show Advanced Setting.” Checkmark “Block IPv4 not destined for the VPN” and also “Block IPv6 not destined for the VPN.”
- Tap your newly created profile in order to connect.
Windscribe app supports all devices with Android 4.0.3 and up, so you’ll encounter no compatibility problems like with some other VPN mobile services.