AirVPN VS Mullvad Comparison
This website features affiliate links. For purchases made via these links, we earn commissions that allow us to keep producing helpful content. To find out more click here. Close
Mullvad and AirVPN are two VPN companies that are considered by both users and experts to be among the best in the business. How to decide which provider to subscribe for? You need to compare them carefully, bearing in mind your own particular needs and what you need a VPN for in the first place.
Best For Beginners
Best For Security Buffs
Mullvad is a privacy-centric VPN provider from Sweden. The service is built around the idea of free internet for everybody offering solid encryption and providing a secure online environment for its users without any connection logs.
- 5 simultaneous connections
- P2P allowed on all servers
- Cash and Bitcoin accepted
AirVPN is a VPN service known for its advanced solutions and great performance and speed. It uses the latest encryption technology, offers complete anonymity, protects you from DNS leaks, and brings you a range of useful features.
- Doesn’t keep any logs
- Allows P2P sharing
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Offers a 3-day free trial
* The prices shown represent the cost of one month within different subscriptions. To see all available plans and pricing options, check individual reviews.
Number Of Servers
Number Of Countries
AES-256, RSA-4096 certificates, SHA-512 server authentication
DNS Leak Protection
Number Of Servers
Number Of Countries
up to 256-bit AES
DNS Leak Protection
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By donkey on 12/06/2019I've been using Mullvad for over 2 years and am very happy with their service. I have a lot of computers and run numerous operating systems (Windows, Mac, Linux, Servers, etc) and the setup is simple every time. They don't have as many servers as some of the bigger VPN services, but I get over 100Mb/sec when I'm connected through the app and they have servers that are very local to me on the east coast of the US. I especially love their wireguard support, which I use exclusively on my linux machines and I get my full bandwidth. It's blazing fast (for me) and the setup is super easy thanks to their configuration wizard, including the multihop feature. Even better is the ability to pay anonymously, you can even mail them cash and you never need to provide a name or even an email address!
- Submitted By Alex Fredrick on 09/03/2019If you are considering a VPN, stop considering anything other than Mullvad. I have used every VPN on the market and there is just no comparison to the features offered by Mullvad, The simplicity of their user interface, my grandma can use. Forget about all these numbers, (pings, speeds etc.) All the VPN's have same similar numbers so this is just wasting your time. However, aside from that, they are consistently updating and this company want to go #1, it obvious just one example their customer service. 5 Stars is just not enough
- Submitted By Mullvad User on 07/07/2019I am a Windows 8.1 PC user. This VPN works great initially, however, after several uses over a short spell of days or so, this VPN won't allow you to access the internet directly at all, without it being active on your Windows PC -- no matter what you do to adjust the settings, even if you Quit the app(with the correct settings ticked to enable you to connect to the internet WITHOUT this VPN active; You will NOT be able to access the internet; Many websites limit their functionality or completely disallow connections through a VPN. I have used this VPN with my Windows 7 & 8.1 (PCs) and experienced this issue consistently with both over the past year that I have used Mullvad VPN for Windows. And even if you need to update to their most recent version, the issue will re-emerge shortly after doing so. If you wanted this problem addressed, you would have to connect with a 3rd party via email that will need to document everything in order to service this issue!! -- reasonable anonymity is then out-the-window!! So I have to assume that Mullvad is earning money from the 3rd party customer service(email) that they invite you to reference for help exclusively. Now of course, I don't experience this issue using Mullvad's servers via OpenVPN -- but OpenVPN can't offer the full security features like the Kill Switch, etc. I do however, continue to use Mullvad VPN on my Windows PC, because it's the most cost effective, reliable and secure VPN(I feel) that I can use!
- Submitted By Gretter on 05/05/2019Mullvad does not work out of the box in China. Just home from China, here's a bit of hands on experience. Prior to travel, I tested it from europe. No problems. Tweaking settings as described didn't work for me. I'm a techie, but not on vpn, so some of it was in the blind. Combined with Wireguard, I did get a vpn connection. But I would not have been able to download the Wireguard app without a second working vpn connection. Now, I realize that there's probably sneaky way's to make this work, but if you're the average user... I don't recommend this vpn solutions for your China adventure as of early 2019.
- Submitted By cribstate on 09/25/2019I am in the field of infused and this has perfect forward privacy which means if someone or gov came to airvpn and asked for user information they can because the keys are randomized even airvpn doesn't know. my daughter uses this also,and loves it. she won't use the internet nor turn on her phone without it. beat this is you dont need a graphical UI . you can use opinion and import configs and keep it resource friendly. which they are also anyways. stick with airvpn, made by hackers and hacktivists.
- Submitted By Anon on 05/23/2019Nice to see a review site actually doing its job and not just earning money from the referral crowd without asking the really important questions (just ask yourself why so many referral sites always punt the same old crowd of VPN's - Express VPN, Air VPN, Nord VPN, Vypr VPN etc etc). Air VPN is an excellent true VPN at a fair price. Would like to see some server expansion into other continents over time but speeds are generally very good in any case. Unreserved recommendation as a true VPN and not just to duck Netflix geographical restrictions. Or similar nonsense.
- Submitted By Manah on 03/08/2018I am using AirVPN sin 2013 no complaint what so ever. Only one thing I don't like about AirVPN that they are based in Italy(14 eyes)
- Submitted By Roger Adams on 12/10/2016Doesn’t get better than this. By far the best VPN around!
AirVPN is one of the most innovative and advanced VPN protection services on the market. It boasts strong encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, offers absolute anonymity, and doesn’t keep any logs.