When it comes to the popularity and quality of service, Mullvad and ExpressVPN are very similar. Because of this, it can be tough for a user to decide which VPN to opt for. One provider has to be better, if not completely, then at least in those areas that interest you, the future user, the most.
- 5 simultaneous connections
- P2P allowed on all servers
- Cash and Bitcoin accepted
- No logging policy
- Strong encryption
- Torrenting allowed
- Over 3,000 servers
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By donkey on 12/06/2019I've been using Mullvad for over 2 years and am very happy with their service. I have a lot of computers and run numerous operating systems (Windows, Mac, Linux, Servers, etc) and the setup is simple every time. They don't have as many servers as some of the bigger VPN services, but I get over 100Mb/sec when I'm connected through the app and they have servers that are very local to me on the east coast of the US. I especially love their wireguard support, which I use exclusively on my linux machines and I get my full bandwidth. It's blazing fast (for me) and the setup is super easy thanks to their configuration wizard, including the multihop feature. Even better is the ability to pay anonymously, you can even mail them cash and you never need to provide a name or even an email address!
- Submitted By Alex Fredrick on 09/03/2019If you are considering a VPN, stop considering anything other than Mullvad. I have used every VPN on the market and there is just no comparison to the features offered by Mullvad, The simplicity of their user interface, my grandma can use. Forget about all these numbers, (pings, speeds etc.) All the VPN's have same similar numbers so this is just wasting your time. However, aside from that, they are consistently updating and this company want to go #1, it obvious just one example their customer service. 5 Stars is just not enough
- Submitted By Mullvad User on 07/07/2019I am a Windows 8.1 PC user. This VPN works great initially, however, after several uses over a short spell of days or so, this VPN won't allow you to access the internet directly at all, without it being active on your Windows PC -- no matter what you do to adjust the settings, even if you Quit the app(with the correct settings ticked to enable you to connect to the internet WITHOUT this VPN active; You will NOT be able to access the internet; Many websites limit their functionality or completely disallow connections through a VPN. I have used this VPN with my Windows 7 & 8.1 (PCs) and experienced this issue consistently with both over the past year that I have used Mullvad VPN for Windows. And even if you need to update to their most recent version, the issue will re-emerge shortly after doing so. If you wanted this problem addressed, you would have to connect with a 3rd party via email that will need to document everything in order to service this issue!! -- reasonable anonymity is then out-the-window!! So I have to assume that Mullvad is earning money from the 3rd party customer service(email) that they invite you to reference for help exclusively. Now of course, I don't experience this issue using Mullvad's servers via OpenVPN -- but OpenVPN can't offer the full security features like the Kill Switch, etc. I do however, continue to use Mullvad VPN on my Windows PC, because it's the most cost effective, reliable and secure VPN(I feel) that I can use!
- Submitted By Gretter on 05/05/2019Mullvad does not work out of the box in China. Just home from China, here's a bit of hands on experience. Prior to travel, I tested it from europe. No problems. Tweaking settings as described didn't work for me. I'm a techie, but not on vpn, so some of it was in the blind. Combined with Wireguard, I did get a vpn connection. But I would not have been able to download the Wireguard app without a second working vpn connection. Now, I realize that there's probably sneaky way's to make this work, but if you're the average user... I don't recommend this vpn solutions for your China adventure as of early 2019.
- Submitted By Victor Vega on 12/20/2019Speed quality is constant and there are no disconnections. Once you find the right server you can count on the same speed and reliable performance. I had to buy a license for two more connections but if you don’t need it for your work as a do, the original five simultaneous connections are more than you probably need. Overall, I think its a great product that offers value for money, I’ve paid $6.67 for a year, that’s the price per month and I’ve got three extra months for free so it’s around 100$ for 15 months which I think is a good deal.
- Submitted By Al Gonzalez on 11/29/2019ExpressVPN is probably the best ones out unless you live or work in the Orwellian nation of PRC where almost every VPN is blocked and you need bridges with Tor to access the web uncensored. ExpressVPN have some of the fastest and most stable servers you can use. You can be using the same server for weeks and even a month and it doesn't die out or disconnect. Very reliable for streaming and P2P the speed is close to my vanilla connection. No IP or DNS leaks easy to use and straight forward. The only real con is the damn price almost cost $100 for their best plan but 15 months of speedy and stable servers makes it worth it if you are a heavy streamer or downloader.
- Submitted By Alain Kaninda on 10/31/2019Overall it is good when it works. There are sites that cannot be unlocked. My greatest disastisfaction with Express VPN is the speed. I have a 40mbps connection, and it runs at speeds under 10 mbps.So sometimes, the pic quality is not as good as it should be. Except when I connect to the South African server. But It won't allow me to access services elesewhere. That's the biggest negative point of your service!!!
- Submitted By Martin on 10/30/2019I'm a new user of Express and I have not been impressed since day 1. Not a good VPN for use in China currently. Very few available connections and all very slow to connect. Once connected the speeds are incredibly poor. Whilst this may not be entirely Express's fault they do not seem to be responding as well as other VPN's to the changing restrictions in China. My previous VPN (Astrill) was much more reliable in China. I only switched as Express offered connectivity options for Apple TV and Raspberry PI. No chance to connect either under the current conditions. I'm cancelling my subscription and switching to another VPN before the 30 day trial expires. --
ExpressVPN is one of the top VPN services located in the British Virgin Islands and sporting a solid security setup, vast server network, excellent speeds and performance, and impressive geo-spoofing capabilities.