ExpressVPN and NordVPN are two well-known and globally respected VPN service providers. In order to help you decide which one is more suitable for you, we took a thorough look at these two providers and how they stand up against each other.
This expert-made ExpressVPN vs. NordVPN comparison will show the advantages and disadvantages of these providers. We have chosen seven factors that can emphasize the most important features of both VPN providers.
- No logging policy
- Strong encryption
- Torrenting allowed
- Over 1,500 servers
- Double encryption
- Netflix servers
- 3,500+ servers
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Stefan on 07/24/2018Been using ExpressVPN for about a year out of the UAE. Initially happy with them, but lately the UAE is cracking Down on VPN use. It is totally unusable currently, drops connections constantly. Big avoid if you live in the UAE.
- Submitted By Rachel Howard on 02/09/2018I only bought it because everyone says it’s the only VPN that works with Netflix. And it does! Good enough for me :D
- Submitted By Ben Knight on 02/03/2018Works in China, unblocks Netflix, fast, no logs, it doesn’t get better than this.
- Submitted By bob on 01/30/2018dropped connection constantly..would reconnect to a different server then drop connection again.. kill switch was great always worked as was needed a lot..tech guys told me to reboot or reinstall would help for a few days then back to same old crap..I have used a few free vpns that were more dependable and one that was 1/3 the price and 100 times better..Gave it one star as there was nothing less. used it on 4 different pc two with windows 7.. two with windows ten did not work for more than a week on any.. would not recommend express vpn to anyone.
- Submitted By Cayo Medeiros on 08/09/2018I signed up on NordVPN after reading good reviews in different websites. The problem in those reviews though is that they are written based on shallow usage, the reviewers usually just installed to test it out and uninstalled afterwards. My recommendation as a real customer is: don't go for them. Their VPN doesn't work for multiple sites I've tried. And it's not that the website blocks all VPNs cause another VPN provider worked properly on those sites (not telling which as I'm not affiliated to them in any way.). And even after telling them that the websites X , Y and Z didn't work with them but worked with their competitor they wouldn't refund me because their TOS says so. Ridiculous. They advertise something, we buy it, they don't deliver and also don't refund us even partially. So I'm doing what I can: writing reviews everywhere to help people avoid falling in the same trap I did. --
- Submitted By Thomas Brown on 12/14/2017Nord is definitely one of the best VPNs right now. Most people complain about the price, but it’s actually not that high, there are tons of lousy services that charge the same. Trust me, it’s worth it.
- Submitted By Freddie Kelly on 11/27/2017Dedicated P2P servers – that’s all I need to know. Plus, it’s fast, so seems pretty perfect to me.
- Submitted By Molly Holder on 08/22/2017It’s not as user-friendly as I though. The basics are fine, but I don’t understand anything about the protocols, they should explain it better because not everyone knows how these things work.
The top VPN provider on the market, ExpressVPN offers high-quality services at reasonable prices. They provide advanced features, as well as maximum reliability, fast speeds, and complete anonymity.
We have compared ExpressVPN and NordVPN by looking at the major qualities of VPN service providers. These include device compatibility, support type and quality, IP type, pricing options, protocols offered, performance and reliability, and security and protection.
It is important to keep in mind that every user has different needs. Therefore, it doesn’t mean that the VPN provider with better overall results would be more serviceable for you and your computer. That is why we bring you a detailed comparison of each feature our experts have identified as crucial. This way, you can determine which one offers exactly what you need.
- ExpressVPN is compatible with all major platforms and operating systems. It works perfectly on Mac, Windows, and Linux. You can use it on your iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, Xbox, and even router.
- NordVPN is compatible with all of the operating systems and devices ExpressVPN supports, except for Xbox. Therefore, if you are a passionate gamer, ExpressVPN may be a better choice.
- If you have any trouble using ExpressVPN, you can contact their support through email or make use of their excellent live chat, which allows you to get prompt answers at any time. You can also search through their FAQ / Knowledgebase section and find solutions to common problems.
- The support staff of NordVPN is available via email and live chat as well. Their FAQ / Knowledgebase section offers a great deal of information and allows you to easily solve all basic issues.
- ExpressVPN offers shared dynamic IPs and has 336 different IPs.
- On the other hand, NordVPN offers both shared (static and dynamic) and dedicated IPs, which is very good news for everyone trying to protect their online privacy.
- ExpressVPN offers three packages to its users. The only difference between the packages is in the duration of the subscription. You can choose between the monthly, semi-annual, and annual subscription. The monthly package costs $12.95 per month. The semi-annual package, which is billed every six months, costs $9.99 per month, which means you get to save over 20% in comparison to the monthly option. The annual package, which is billed yearly, costs $8.32 per month, allowing you to save 35% in comparison to the monthly package. While there is no free trial, you can purchase ExpressVPN risk-free, as it comes with a 30-day money back guarantee.
- NordVPN also offers three packages which differ in the length of the subscription. You can choose between Simple, Standard, and Best Offer plans. The Simple plan brings you one month of NordVPN protection. It costs $11.95 per month. The Standard plan allows you to save 41% on your subscription. It brings you 6-months of VPN protection at the price of $7 per month, billed semi-annually. The Best Offer plan allows you to save 52% on your subscription and keeps you protected for a year. It costs $5.75 per month and is billed annually. As you can see, it is a bit more affordable than its competitor. Just as in the case of ExpressVPN, with NordVPN you do not get a free trial, but you do get a 30-day money back guarantee so you can change your mind in case you are not satisfied with the service provided.
- ExpressVPN uses top-of-the-line OpenVPN (TCP, UDP) protocol as its default protocol. It also offers L2TP-IPsec, SSTP, and PPTP protocols, covering the needs of most users.
- NordVPN offers you a nice range of protocols, including OpenVPN with strong SSL-based 2048-bit encryption, as well as PPTP and L2TP protocols.
Performance & Reliability
- ExpressVPN has 500 servers located in 87 countries around the world. It brings you excellent speeds and has you covered wherever you may be. ExpressVPN subscription comes with unlimited bandwidth, unlimited speed, and unlimited server switching. The performance is smooth, without any dropouts or leak issues. P2P sharing is supported, which means you can download and use torrents to your heart’s desire. You can use the software on up to 3 devices at the same time with a single account.
- NordVPN operates more than 500 servers located in 58 world countries. Much like ExpressVPN, it brings you unlimited bandwidth, unlimited speed, and unlimited server switching. It allows P2P sharing, letting you enjoy the ultimate torrenting experience. While ExpressVPN allows you to use the software on up to 3 devices simultaneously, which is more than most VPN providers offer, NordVPN goes one step further and allows you to use it on as many as 6 different devices at the same time.
Security & Protection
- ExpressVPN boasts the safest AES 256-bit encryption. It is equipped with a kill switch option that works as a double protection and keeps your data anonymous in case your VPN connection gets compromised in any way. It also features a NAT firewall, which blocks unrequested inbound traffic. With a strict no logging policy and the possibility to pay with BitCoin, ExpressVPN provides you with the highest level of anonymity.
- NordVPN also features a kill switch and uses the most advanced AES-256 encryption. It provides an additional layer of protection by employing double encryption, which is not something you can find in most VPN providers. Just like ExpressVPN, it does not keep any logs of your activity and allows you to pay via BitCoin, keeping you completely anonymous. As far as additional security features are concerned, it offers encrypted chat and secret notes, supports VPN over TOR, and allows you to enjoy the benefits of multi-hop connections. NordVPN definitely boasts one of the best security features we have encountered so far.