ExpressVPN and NordVPN are two well-known and globally respected VPN service providers. In order to help you decide which one is more suitable for you, we took a thorough look at these two providers and how they stand up against each other.
This expert-made ExpressVPN vs. NordVPN comparison will show the advantages and disadvantages of these providers. We have chosen seven factors that can emphasize the most important features of both VPN providers.
- No logging policy
- Strong encryption
- Torrenting allowed
- Over 1,500 servers
- Double encryption
- Netflix servers
- 3,500+ servers
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Al on 04/25/2019As of April 2019, Express barely works in China. Either you cannot connect, takes forever to connect or keeps getting disconnected. You have been warned.
- Submitted By Dale on 03/24/2019This has been nothing but trouble. After setting it up, it ran at 1/5 the normal internet speed, their claims of transparency notwithstanding. Trying the same servers on three other VPNs all returned speeds about 15% below the usual, so it clearly was very slow. Contacting support was not helpful, as they blamed variables that were the same for all the VPNs tested. They were more interesting in explaining it away then addressing the issues. The geoblocking worked for 12 hours, and then the next day I could not access geoblocked US sites. Two hours online help did not resolve the problem. While support is immediate, it simply did nothing to alleviate the problem. I am shocked, as this service gets nearly universal acclaim for reliability and speed, but that was not the case for me. Nearly every VPN I have used worked better than this, including the free ones. My setup is not unusual. I opted for this one because I could set it up on the Apple TV and it promised to override the geoblocking. In my case, anyway, it turned out to be a colossal waste of time, energy, and money
- Submitted By Kwok-on Lo on 13/02/2019I have been working in China for the past 7 years and relied 90% of the time on Express VPN. Our company has 5 subscriptions. I wish they would have a white label so that we could provide our shareholders with a custom branded experience. The Mobile app for phones is fantastic, connects quickly and rock solid. I can't say the same for the desktop version when operating in China. For some reason on Windows 10 desktop, I'd say the reliability is about 70% nowadays. Sometimes, has a very hard time connecting, sometimes unstable as the great firewall gets smarter every day.
- Submitted By Colin on 02/20/2019With Nordvpn, you can unblock geo-blocked content and access any website just in a few seconds. Nothing could be easier. For anyone who loves Netflix movies and tv shows (as I do), Nord is a must have app. Maybe sometimes it is worth switching a couple of servers to see which one performs better, but besides that everything works as promised.
- Submitted By Bharat Sahu on 02/19/2019Very slow servers.I connect to fastest server but my it has very low Internet speed.My average download speed was 50 mbps but after using the nordvpn it drops to 500 kbps(When connected to the fastest server)horrible!and when I connect to fastest sever of double vpn it nevers connects and the message is displayed that an error is done Horribly vpn. I use protonvpn it was good.It has good net speed,good security and privacy also.I do not recommend NordVPN I recommend ProtonVPN.
- Submitted By Andrew B on 12/10/2018The best ever VPN service that I've been tried before. LOTs of servers on every piece of this world. I am really appreciated that guys doing to be the best of the VPN service providers and at the same time being provide features like dedicated IP. Thanks nordvpn team!
- Submitted By Nafran on 10/26/2018I have NordVPN for almost a year and in these past couple of months I noticed quite a few improvements on the service as well as the application UX. The speed seems to have increased by at least 20mbps and I really like cybersec feature. All in all would recommend to anyone, especially if it was slightly cheaper.
ExpressVPN is one of the top VPN services located in the British Virgin Islands and sporting a solid security setup, vast server network, excellent speeds and performance, and impressive geo-spoofing capabilities.
We have compared ExpressVPN and NordVPN by looking at the major qualities of VPN service providers. These include device compatibility, support type and quality, IP type, pricing options, protocols offered, performance and reliability, and security and protection.
It is important to keep in mind that every user has different needs. Therefore, it doesn’t mean that the VPN provider with better results is better for you and your requirements. That is why we bring you this detailed comparison of each feature our experts have identified as crucial. This way, you can determine which one offers exactly what you need.
- ExpressVPN is compatible with all major platforms and operating systems. It features native apps for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Kindle, Linux, and routers. It can also be manually configured on wireless routers, Chromebook, streaming media (Roku, Kodi, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV), and gaming consoles (PS, Xbox, Switch). MediaStreamer is used on platforms that do not support VPNs, like Apple TV.
- NordVPN offers native apps for Windows 7/8/10, Android, Mac, and iOS and can be manually configured on Windows XP/Vista, Linux, Blackberry, Raspberry Pi, Chromecast, Kodi, Amazon Firestick, wireless routers, and many other platforms and devices.
- If you have any trouble using ExpressVPN, you can contact its support team through email or make use of its excellent live chat, which allows you to get prompt answers at any time. You can also search through the FAQ/Knowledgebase section on the company’s website and find solutions to common problems.
- The support staff of NordVPN is available via email and live chat as well. Nord’s FAQ/Knowledgebase section offers a great deal of information and allows you to easily solve all basic issues.
- ExpressVPN offers shared dynamic IPs and has thousands of different IPs.
- On the other hand, NordVPN offers both shared (static and dynamic) and dedicated IPs.
- ExpressVPN offers three packages to its users. The only difference between the packages is in the duration of the subscription. You can choose between the monthly, semi-annual, and annual subscription. The monthly package costs $12.95 per month. The semi-annual package, which is billed every six months, costs $9.99 per month, which means you get to save over 20% in comparison to the monthly option. The annual package, which is billed yearly, costs $8.32 per month, allowing you to save 35% in comparison to the monthly package. On top of this, if you opt for the yearly subscription, you get 3 additional months free of charge, which lowers the total price of your subscription plan to $6.67 per month. While there is no free trial, you can purchase ExpressVPN risk-free, as it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- NordVPN offers four packages that differ in the length of the subscription. You can choose between the 1-month plan ($11.95 per month), 1-year plan ($6.99 per month), 2-year plan ($3.99 per month), and 3-year plan ($2.99 per month). The 3-year subscription also comes with an additional 15% discount for students.
- ExpressVPN uses OpenVPN (TCP, UDP) as its default protocol. It also offers IKEv2/IPsec, L2TP, and
, and PPTP protocols, covering the needs of most users.
- NordVPN supports OpenVPN and IKEv2/IPsec. OpenVPN is used as the default protocol on Windows and Android and IKEv2/IPsec on MacOS and iOS.
Performance & Reliability
- ExpressVPN has 3,000+ servers located in 90+ countries around the world. It brings you excellent speeds and has you covered wherever you may be. With ExpressVPN, you get unlimited bandwidth, speed, and server switching. P2P sharing is supported on all servers
and you can use the software on up to 3 devices at the same time with a single account.
- NordVPN operates more than 5,000 servers located in 60+ world countries. Much like ExpressVPN, it brings you unlimited bandwidth, speed, and server switching. It allows P2P sharing on dedicated P2P servers and allows up to 6 simultaneous connections.
Security & Protection
- ExpressVPN boasts the safest AES 256-bit encryption. It is equipped with a kill switch that keeps you safe in case your VPN connection gets compromised in any way. It also features a NAT firewall, which blocks unrequested inbound traffic. With a strict no logging policy and the possibility to pay with BitCoin, ExpressVPN provides you with the highest level of anonymity.
- NordVPN also features a kill switch and uses the most advanced AES-256 encryption. It provides an additional layer of protection by employing double encryption. Just like ExpressVPN, it does not keep any logs of your activity and allows you to pay via BitCoin and other major cryptocurrencies, keeping you completely anonymous. As far as additional security features are concerned, it offers encrypted chat and secret notes and supports VPN over TOR.