ExpressVPN and NordVPN are two well-known and globally respected VPN service providers. In order to help you decide which one is more suitable for you, we took a thorough look at these two providers and how they stand up against each other.
This expert-made ExpressVPN vs. NordVPN comparison will show the advantages and disadvantages of these providers. We have chosen seven factors that can emphasize the most important features of both VPN providers.
- No logging policy
- Strong encryption
- Torrenting allowed
- Over 3,000 servers
- Double encryption
- Netflix servers
- 5,100+ servers
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Victor Vega on 12/20/2019Speed quality is constant and there are no disconnections. Once you find the right server you can count on the same speed and reliable performance. I had to buy a license for two more connections but if you don’t need it for your work as a do, the original five simultaneous connections are more than you probably need. Overall, I think its a great product that offers value for money, I’ve paid $6.67 for a year, that’s the price per month and I’ve got three extra months for free so it’s around 100$ for 15 months which I think is a good deal.
- Submitted By Al Gonzalez on 11/29/2019ExpressVPN is probably the best ones out unless you live or work in the Orwellian nation of PRC where almost every VPN is blocked and you need bridges with Tor to access the web uncensored. ExpressVPN have some of the fastest and most stable servers you can use. You can be using the same server for weeks and even a month and it doesn't die out or disconnect. Very reliable for streaming and P2P the speed is close to my vanilla connection. No IP or DNS leaks easy to use and straight forward. The only real con is the damn price almost cost $100 for their best plan but 15 months of speedy and stable servers makes it worth it if you are a heavy streamer or downloader.
- Submitted By Alain Kaninda on 10/31/2019Overall it is good when it works. There are sites that cannot be unlocked. My greatest disastisfaction with Express VPN is the speed. I have a 40mbps connection, and it runs at speeds under 10 mbps.So sometimes, the pic quality is not as good as it should be. Except when I connect to the South African server. But It won't allow me to access services elesewhere. That's the biggest negative point of your service!!!
- Submitted By Martin on 10/30/2019I'm a new user of Express and I have not been impressed since day 1. Not a good VPN for use in China currently. Very few available connections and all very slow to connect. Once connected the speeds are incredibly poor. Whilst this may not be entirely Express's fault they do not seem to be responding as well as other VPN's to the changing restrictions in China. My previous VPN (Astrill) was much more reliable in China. I only switched as Express offered connectivity options for Apple TV and Raspberry PI. No chance to connect either under the current conditions. I'm cancelling my subscription and switching to another VPN before the 30 day trial expires. --
- Submitted By Yaretzi Peterson on 12/04/2019Usually, I stick to what I know and nordVPN happens to be just one of the examples of a reliable company that always delivers what’s promised. I really didn’t want to waste time or money on trying out some unknown brand and possibly ending up with a bad product. But what made me choose Nord yet again is that I use multiple brand devices and platforms for my job and Nord supports every one of them… it was really a no brainer.
- Submitted By Al Gonzalez on 11/29/2019I moved from ExpressVpn to Nord to save money and got the 1 year deal. Initially Nord has good performance in the first three-four months. Then there servers started disconnecting frequently sometimes the servers would stop working and you had to reconnect to a new one. This can be inconvenient if do stream or download a lot. After the security fallout with Nord where they had one of their servers hacked for almost an year, more Nord servers started having issues such as a missing password or otherwise you couldn't connect to them. The US servers were alright but they can sometimes stop working after a period of time. Express never had this problem. I spent nearly a month in one of their servers. With Nord you'd be hard pressed to stick with the same server for a day or two. Overall Nord is okay. The Kill Switch works. I did checks with Ipeaks both on my computer and phone Ive seen no DNS leaks so far. Comes with anti-adware/malware and it works. Autoconnect on phone is like the kill switch. Has potential overall to recover from the embarrassing security gaffe but Nords biggest challenge will be server stability. This seems to be a problem with a lot of new name and affordable vpns. Nord been in the game for a while but longevity of servers is very important. Hope they get their game together or otherwise might have to go back to Express or an equally good alternative.
- Submitted By Magnus on 10/26/2019Since the beginning of October, NordVPN does not work in Hangzhou AT ALL! I can't vouch for other cities. Their support team is polite but useless. They conceded they needed to *invent* a new protocol to get their VPN to work here. Even though a refund was requested by me within 30 days (for a renewal--they were great for a year!), they refused to answer my request and kept stalling my support ticket. I'm still awaiting my refund. USE THEM AT YOUR PERIL IF YOU LIVE IN CHINA! Caveat emptor!!
- Submitted By Sammi on 09/17/2019Love these guys even after having it for 2 years. Super fast and makes me feel safer online.
NordVPN is widely known as one of the best services on the market thanks to its impressive features, bulletproof security setup, and knowledgeable 24/7 customer support. Read more in this honest review.
We have compared ExpressVPN and NordVPN by looking at the major qualities of VPN service providers. These include device compatibility, support type and quality, IP type, pricing options, protocols offered, performance and reliability, and security and protection.
It is important to keep in mind that every user has different needs. Therefore, it doesn’t mean that the VPN provider with better results is better for you and your requirements. That is why we bring you this detailed comparison of each feature our experts have identified as crucial. This way, you can determine which one offers exactly what you need.
- ExpressVPN is compatible with all major platforms and operating systems. It features native apps for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Kindle, Linux, and routers. It can also be manually configured on wireless routers, Chromebook, streaming media (Roku, Kodi, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV), and gaming consoles (PS, Xbox, Switch). MediaStreamer is used on platforms that do not support VPNs, like Apple TV.
- NordVPN offers native apps for Windows 7/8/10, Android, Mac, and iOS and can be manually configured on Windows XP/Vista, Linux, Blackberry, Raspberry Pi, Chromecast, Kodi, Amazon Firestick, wireless routers, and many other platforms and devices.
- If you have any trouble using ExpressVPN, you can contact its support team through email or make use of its excellent live chat, which allows you to get prompt answers at any time. You can also search through the FAQ/Knowledgebase section on the company’s website and find solutions to common problems.
- The support staff of NordVPN is available via email and live chat as well. Nord’s FAQ/Knowledgebase section offers a great deal of information and allows you to easily solve all basic issues.
- ExpressVPN offers shared dynamic IPs and has thousands of different IPs.
- On the other hand, NordVPN offers both shared (static and dynamic) and dedicated IPs.
- ExpressVPN offers three packages to its users. The only difference between the packages is in the duration of the subscription. You can choose between the monthly, semi-annual, and annual subscription. The monthly package costs $12.95 per month. The semi-annual package, which is billed every six months, costs $9.99 per month, which means you get to save over 20% in comparison to the monthly option. The annual package, which is billed yearly, costs $8.32 per month, allowing you to save 35% in comparison to the monthly package. On top of this, if you opt for the yearly subscription, you get 3 additional months free of charge, which lowers the total price of your subscription plan to $6.67 per month. While there is no free trial, you can purchase ExpressVPN risk-free, as it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- NordVPN offers four packages that differ in the length of the subscription. You can choose between the 1-month plan ($11.95 per month), 1-year plan ($6.99 per month), 2-year plan ($3.99 per month), and 3-year plan ($2.99 per month). The 3-year subscription also comes with an additional 15% discount for students.
- ExpressVPN uses OpenVPN (TCP, UDP) as its default protocol. It also offers IKEv2/IPsec, L2TP, and
, and PPTP protocols, covering the needs of most users.
- NordVPN supports OpenVPN and IKEv2/IPsec. OpenVPN is used as the default protocol on Windows and Android and IKEv2/IPsec on MacOS and iOS.
Performance & Reliability
- ExpressVPN has 3,000+ servers located in 90+ countries around the world. It brings you excellent speeds and has you covered wherever you may be. With ExpressVPN, you get unlimited bandwidth, speed, and server switching. P2P sharing is supported on all servers
and you can use the software on up to 3 devices at the same time with a single account.
- NordVPN operates more than 5,000 servers located in 60+ world countries. Much like ExpressVPN, it brings you unlimited bandwidth, speed, and server switching. It allows P2P sharing on dedicated P2P servers and allows up to 6 simultaneous connections.
Security & Protection
- ExpressVPN boasts the safest AES 256-bit encryption. It is equipped with a kill switch that keeps you safe in case your VPN connection gets compromised in any way. It also features a NAT firewall, which blocks unrequested inbound traffic. With a strict no logging policy and the possibility to pay with BitCoin, ExpressVPN provides you with the highest level of anonymity.
- NordVPN also features a kill switch and uses the most advanced AES-256 encryption. It provides an additional layer of protection by employing double encryption. Just like ExpressVPN, it does not keep any logs of your activity and allows you to pay via BitCoin and other major cryptocurrencies, keeping you completely anonymous. As far as additional security features are concerned, it offers encrypted chat and secret notes and supports VPN over TOR.