ExpressVPN and NordVPN are two well-known and globally respected VPN service providers. In order to help you decide which one is more suitable for you, we took a thorough look at these two providers and how they stand up against each other.
This expert-made ExpressVPN vs. NordVPN comparison will show the advantages and disadvantages of these providers. We have chosen seven factors that can emphasize the most important features of both VPN providers.
- No logging policy
- Strong encryption
- Torrenting allowed
- Over 1,500 servers
- Double encryption
- Netflix servers
- 3,500+ servers
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Dave Wu on 07/29/2019Not working in China anymore!!! Start from March, Expressvpn heavily interfered, took at least 2min to set up the connection if you got lucky. Tried minutes ago, still same. Setup your own VPS is the only way to bypass GFW now. Don't buy any VPN, the same situation applies to NordVPN
- Submitted By Al on 04/25/2019As of April 2019, Express barely works in China. Either you cannot connect, takes forever to connect or keeps getting disconnected. You have been warned.
- Submitted By Dale on 03/24/2019This has been nothing but trouble. After setting it up, it ran at 1/5 the normal internet speed, their claims of transparency notwithstanding. Trying the same servers on three other VPNs all returned speeds about 15% below the usual, so it clearly was very slow. Contacting support was not helpful, as they blamed variables that were the same for all the VPNs tested. They were more interesting in explaining it away then addressing the issues. The geoblocking worked for 12 hours, and then the next day I could not access geoblocked US sites. Two hours online help did not resolve the problem. While support is immediate, it simply did nothing to alleviate the problem. I am shocked, as this service gets nearly universal acclaim for reliability and speed, but that was not the case for me. Nearly every VPN I have used worked better than this, including the free ones. My setup is not unusual. I opted for this one because I could set it up on the Apple TV and it promised to override the geoblocking. In my case, anyway, it turned out to be a colossal waste of time, energy, and money
- Submitted By Sammi on 09/17/2019Love these guys even after having it for 2 years. Super fast and makes me feel safer online.
- Submitted By Nome Loplagies on 09/02/2019NordVPN with USA servers, using it from Mexico with Netflix, EPIX, STARZ, Dish, and Roku channels: Pioneer TV 50” 4K, software version: V8-MS86MNA-LF1V136, flawlessly working Netflix App 4.3.5 since I bought it Roku devices, every two weeks VPN client server needs to be change because Netflix add it to its blacklist. Other Apps in Roku devices like STARZ, CBS All access, NBC, Epix, Pandora, PBS, etc. from Dish subscription are working without a flaw Local network (wired and wireless) is through an Asus router RT-AC3100 ISP is TelMex, fiber optics link, DMZ port designated on primary router from ISP for Asus router Routine as follows: 1) Download latest UDP servers from NordVPN 2) Find optimal USA servers with phone VPN app 3) Choose from newest UDP servers on list, matching better performance ones 4) Apply new profile to Asus or edit and upload .ovpn file 5) Reset Roku to test new VPN settings
- Submitted By GLV on 08/19/2019I just spent 3 weeks in China. (July-August 2019). I was able to access Google and banned sites without problems. (Option: "Obfuscated Servers"). I used my Android smartphone and my Windows 10 ultrabook with NordVPN applications. I was using Wi-Fi and a Chinese 4G LTE SIM card from "China Telecom". Obviously the connection was sometimes lost. But overall I am very happy to have chosen NordVPN. This goes through the Great Firewall of China (GFW) ! My only concern was during very big download (+1GB) on Western servers. Very slow, if not impossible. (This being more a concern for server redundancy in Asia than VPN). But to surf normally, for music or YouTube, WeChat, Signal, etc. no problem. [GLV - Switzerland]
- Submitted By Stephen Bramell on 06/26/2019I'm a former Network Engineer with 25 years IT experience, I've also used several mainstream VPN services. NordVPN is by far the best of the best, not only in features, but in price! The Specialty Servers they offer are unheard of & amazing! My personal favorite is the Double VPN! However, they have specific servers dedicated too P2P, ONION, etc Not to mention a huge list of cities. I went for the 3 year plan & will be renewing. BTW, I use Netflix, Amazon, PC & Xbox One X gaming across it, all without any issues. Needless too say I highly recommend you give Nord a chance, I mean it's got a 30 day money back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose, except your security by NOT trying?
ExpressVPN is one of the top VPN services located in the British Virgin Islands and sporting a solid security setup, vast server network, excellent speeds and performance, and impressive geo-spoofing capabilities.
We have compared ExpressVPN and NordVPN by looking at the major qualities of VPN service providers. These include device compatibility, support type and quality, IP type, pricing options, protocols offered, performance and reliability, and security and protection.
It is important to keep in mind that every user has different needs. Therefore, it doesn’t mean that the VPN provider with better results is better for you and your requirements. That is why we bring you this detailed comparison of each feature our experts have identified as crucial. This way, you can determine which one offers exactly what you need.
- ExpressVPN is compatible with all major platforms and operating systems. It features native apps for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Kindle, Linux, and routers. It can also be manually configured on wireless routers, Chromebook, streaming media (Roku, Kodi, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV), and gaming consoles (PS, Xbox, Switch). MediaStreamer is used on platforms that do not support VPNs, like Apple TV.
- NordVPN offers native apps for Windows 7/8/10, Android, Mac, and iOS and can be manually configured on Windows XP/Vista, Linux, Blackberry, Raspberry Pi, Chromecast, Kodi, Amazon Firestick, wireless routers, and many other platforms and devices.
- If you have any trouble using ExpressVPN, you can contact its support team through email or make use of its excellent live chat, which allows you to get prompt answers at any time. You can also search through the FAQ/Knowledgebase section on the company’s website and find solutions to common problems.
- The support staff of NordVPN is available via email and live chat as well. Nord’s FAQ/Knowledgebase section offers a great deal of information and allows you to easily solve all basic issues.
- ExpressVPN offers shared dynamic IPs and has thousands of different IPs.
- On the other hand, NordVPN offers both shared (static and dynamic) and dedicated IPs.
- ExpressVPN offers three packages to its users. The only difference between the packages is in the duration of the subscription. You can choose between the monthly, semi-annual, and annual subscription. The monthly package costs $12.95 per month. The semi-annual package, which is billed every six months, costs $9.99 per month, which means you get to save over 20% in comparison to the monthly option. The annual package, which is billed yearly, costs $8.32 per month, allowing you to save 35% in comparison to the monthly package. On top of this, if you opt for the yearly subscription, you get 3 additional months free of charge, which lowers the total price of your subscription plan to $6.67 per month. While there is no free trial, you can purchase ExpressVPN risk-free, as it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- NordVPN offers four packages that differ in the length of the subscription. You can choose between the 1-month plan ($11.95 per month), 1-year plan ($6.99 per month), 2-year plan ($3.99 per month), and 3-year plan ($2.99 per month). The 3-year subscription also comes with an additional 15% discount for students.
- ExpressVPN uses OpenVPN (TCP, UDP) as its default protocol. It also offers IKEv2/IPsec, L2TP, and
, and PPTP protocols, covering the needs of most users.
- NordVPN supports OpenVPN and IKEv2/IPsec. OpenVPN is used as the default protocol on Windows and Android and IKEv2/IPsec on MacOS and iOS.
Performance & Reliability
- ExpressVPN has 3,000+ servers located in 90+ countries around the world. It brings you excellent speeds and has you covered wherever you may be. With ExpressVPN, you get unlimited bandwidth, speed, and server switching. P2P sharing is supported on all servers
and you can use the software on up to 3 devices at the same time with a single account.
- NordVPN operates more than 5,000 servers located in 60+ world countries. Much like ExpressVPN, it brings you unlimited bandwidth, speed, and server switching. It allows P2P sharing on dedicated P2P servers and allows up to 6 simultaneous connections.
Security & Protection
- ExpressVPN boasts the safest AES 256-bit encryption. It is equipped with a kill switch that keeps you safe in case your VPN connection gets compromised in any way. It also features a NAT firewall, which blocks unrequested inbound traffic. With a strict no logging policy and the possibility to pay with BitCoin, ExpressVPN provides you with the highest level of anonymity.
- NordVPN also features a kill switch and uses the most advanced AES-256 encryption. It provides an additional layer of protection by employing double encryption. Just like ExpressVPN, it does not keep any logs of your activity and allows you to pay via BitCoin and other major cryptocurrencies, keeping you completely anonymous. As far as additional security features are concerned, it offers encrypted chat and secret notes and supports VPN over TOR.