The importance of online anonymity is not to be taken lightly. That is why we invest a lot of effort into helping you find the best VPN service. As you probably know, ExpressVPN and Private Internet Access are among the best in the business.
This objective ExpressVPN vs. Private Internet Access comparison was created by our team of experts, who know exactly which qualities a VPN service provider needs to possess in order to provide you with absolute security and anonymity. What follows is a detailed ExpressVPN vs. Private Internet Access comparison based on 7 main criteria for VPN protection, which can help you decide which one of these two renowned VPN providers is a better choice for you.
- No logging policy
- Strong encryption
- Torrenting allowed
- Over 1,500 servers
- Zero user logs kept
- Offers SOCKS5 proxy
- Unlimited bandwidth
- P2P sharing allowed
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Al on 04/25/2019As of April 2019, Express barely works in China. Either you cannot connect, takes forever to connect or keeps getting disconnected. You have been warned.
- Submitted By Dale on 03/24/2019This has been nothing but trouble. After setting it up, it ran at 1/5 the normal internet speed, their claims of transparency notwithstanding. Trying the same servers on three other VPNs all returned speeds about 15% below the usual, so it clearly was very slow. Contacting support was not helpful, as they blamed variables that were the same for all the VPNs tested. They were more interesting in explaining it away then addressing the issues. The geoblocking worked for 12 hours, and then the next day I could not access geoblocked US sites. Two hours online help did not resolve the problem. While support is immediate, it simply did nothing to alleviate the problem. I am shocked, as this service gets nearly universal acclaim for reliability and speed, but that was not the case for me. Nearly every VPN I have used worked better than this, including the free ones. My setup is not unusual. I opted for this one because I could set it up on the Apple TV and it promised to override the geoblocking. In my case, anyway, it turned out to be a colossal waste of time, energy, and money
- Submitted By Kwok-on Lo on 13/02/2019I have been working in China for the past 7 years and relied 90% of the time on Express VPN. Our company has 5 subscriptions. I wish they would have a white label so that we could provide our shareholders with a custom branded experience. The Mobile app for phones is fantastic, connects quickly and rock solid. I can't say the same for the desktop version when operating in China. For some reason on Windows 10 desktop, I'd say the reliability is about 70% nowadays. Sometimes, has a very hard time connecting, sometimes unstable as the great firewall gets smarter every day.
- Submitted By Anonymous of course on 10/19/2018I love this VPN. I highly doubt I'll use any other VPN ever. The only thing I dislike about this provider is that Amazon streaming and Netflix streaming are blocked but that's fine. I use other streaming services. I cancelled my Netflix subscription and I'd cancel my prime membership to Amazon too if not for the free 2 day shipping. I'll sign up again when they let me be anonymous on the internet like everyone should be. Anyways this VPN has never had downtime for me and the Killswitch means I can p2p with no worries. Torrent freak has 2 articles about PIA being taken to court and PIA informing they have a no log policy and being unable to help with any logs. I'll trust these guys with my privacy for sure.Conclusion: if you can survive without streaming Netflix this VPN provides the best privacy and security and has had it's no log policy tested. 5 stars without a doubt.
- Submitted By Jose Cuervo on 10/02/2018I have been using PIA for several years now and am satisfied with the service. I originally used Viscosity as my client but the one from PIA has improved enough to make it the best option. Though I have not yet tried the Linux client, the ones on Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android work well. Since I stared using PIA, they have added a bunch more servers and the performance has never been an issue for me. The combination of features, compatability and server locations represents the best value for me....YMMV. PIA was my third and so far best VPN experience.
- Submitted By Maria Martonioni on 06/22/2017I liked this service for a while but I feel that lately they have started to slack a bit, especially when it comes to connection reliability. No matter what kind of server I connect to (I usually connect to US and UK ones, sometimes some European ones) the connection keeps dropping and I keep losing my protected connection which is definitely not cool.
- Submitted By Lyndon Hart on 11/19/2016Horrible service with awful customer support. They never ever helped me at all. One time I'm pretty certain a support tech called me a moron but in a polite way. I mean ok I understand I can be annoying but they are there for me, aren't they?
The top VPN provider on the market, ExpressVPN offers high-quality services at reasonable prices. They provide advanced features, as well as maximum reliability, fast speeds, and complete anonymity.
Choosing between ExpressVPN and Private Internet Access is not exactly easy, with all of their numerous features to keep in mind while making the decision. This side-by-side comparison provides you with a full view of their offers and allows you to clearly see which one is better suited for your needs.
- ExpressVPN is compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Blackberry, and Linux, as well as routers. You can use it on practically any device that requires VPN protection and it allows 3 simultaneous connections.
- Private Internet Access supports Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux and can be used on up to 5 devices simultaneously. It provides customized security for all devices that use the platforms and operating systems it supports.
- ExpressVPN features an extensive knowledge base, helpful FAQ, and support through email. If you need urgent help, you can make use of its excellent live chat and get quick and helpful answers to your questions.
- Private Internet Access also features a great support section, as well as a forum which allows you to get help from other experienced users. For quick answers, you can contact its support staff via its 24/7 live chat.
- ExpressVPN offers 336 dynamic/shared IP addresses to its users. It does not offer static/dedicated IPs.
- Just like ExpressVPN, Private Internet Access only offers dynamic/shared IP addresses.
- ExpressVPN offers three subscription packages. The monthly subscription costs $12.95, the semi-annual costs $9.99 per month (billed semi-annually), and the yearly subscription costs $8.32 per month (billed yearly).
- Private Internet Access offers 3 plans to its users. The monthly package costs $6.95, the semi-annual costs $35.99 ($5.99 per month), and the annual package costs $39.95 ($3.33 per month).
- Open VPN is the default protocol for ExpressVPN, but the provider also offers L2TP, PPTP, and SSTP protocols.
- Private Internet Access offers OpenVPN, L2TP, IPSec, and PPTP protocols.
Performance & Reliability
- ExpressVPN boasts 500 servers in 136 cities in 87 world countries. Its performance borders on perfect. It offers unlimited bandwidth, speed, and server switching. It also supports P2P and features Smart DNS.
- Private Internet Access operates over 3260 servers in 25 world countries. It offers impressive speeds and smooth performance, along with unlimited bandwidth. It supports P2P and features DNS leak protection.
Security & Protection
- ExpressVPN keeps you safe with multiple layers of protection. It uses strong encryption, features a kill switch, and brings you the highly useful NAT firewall. It provides you with the highest level of anonymity, with no traffic logs stored and BitCoin payment option.
- Private Internet Access features strong encryption and a VPN kill switch for maximum protection. Complete anonymity is guaranteed by its zero logging policy and the possibility to make payments via BitCoin.