ExpressVPN VS Surfshark Comparison
This website features affiliate links. For purchases made via these links, we earn commissions that allow us to keep producing helpful content. To find out more click here. Close
Surfshark and ExpressVPN are highly popular worldwide thanks to the high level of protection and anonymity they provide. They are fast, reliable, and safe, which is why we warmly recommend them as premium-quality VPN solutions. However, if you are curious to find out which one of them represents a more advantageous option, this Surfshark VS ExpressVPN comparison can help you see exactly how they compare to one another and which one boasts a more impressive offer.
Best For Avid Streamers
Surfshark is at the very top of the VPN market thanks to its bank-grade encryption, strict zero-logging policy, excellent speed, and impressive feature suite. It works with some of the most popular streaming services.
- 800+ servers
- AES-256 cypher
- Internet killswitch
- Zero-knowledge DNS
Excellent geographic coverage paired with a top-notch security suite with all the best protocols is what makes ExpressVPN one of the best VPN providers on the market. Great for accessing restricted websites and anonymous browsing.
- No logging policy
- Strong encryption
- Torrenting allowed
- Over 3,000 servers
* The prices shown represent the cost of one month within different subscriptions. To see all available plans and pricing options, check individual reviews.
British Virgin Ilands
Number Of Servers
Number Of Countries
DNS Leak Protection
British Virgin Islands
Number Of Servers
Number Of Countries
PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, SSTP, OpenVPN
no traffic logs
DNS Leak Protection
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Gavin Miller on 01/08/2020This is a perfect vpn from people like myself who use it for streaming, and gaming and for torrents. Streaming speed has been the fastest out of all the vpns I’ve tried so far. Other and eaqualiy important feature, at least for me, is that you can completely mask your IP address by jumping from one server to another. However, it really slows your internet so I suggest you do it only when necessary.
- Submitted By Harley Andrade on 12/20/2019The first time I came across surfshark I’ve read that it only has an app for android, however by the time I was deciding on what to buy they’ve already transitioned to Windows and IOS and after I’ve read its awesome review it was a no brainer. I went fro one year subscription straight away which is $5.99 per month for one year and so far I’ve been very pleased with everything.
- Submitted By J. Bennet on 12/02/2019I got a Surfshark subscription during Black Friday, so obviously I'm quite happy with the price. I mainly needed it to unblock Netflix and Disney+ so I read some reviews (including this one) before buying it to make sure. I did have some downtime on Disney+, but when I contacted their customer support, they gave me and exact SLA of when it will be fixed and added a free week to my subscription. I'd say it was handled very well.
- Submitted By SJ on 11/20/2019Yes, Surfshark is affordable, but service is patchy. I wanted Surfshark to connect to a certain website, and all VPNs in a certain location fail to "geolocate" to that location. I contacted Surfshark within the 30 days warranty period and customer support failed to fix the problem or refund my money as requested. Customer support is no good. If they refund my money or fix the problem, I will update this review. Until then....avoid Surfshark.
- Submitted By Victor Vega on 12/20/2019Speed quality is constant and there are no disconnections. Once you find the right server you can count on the same speed and reliable performance. I had to buy a license for two more connections but if you don’t need it for your work as a do, the original five simultaneous connections are more than you probably need. Overall, I think its a great product that offers value for money, I’ve paid $6.67 for a year, that’s the price per month and I’ve got three extra months for free so it’s around 100$ for 15 months which I think is a good deal.
- Submitted By Al Gonzalez on 11/29/2019ExpressVPN is probably the best ones out unless you live or work in the Orwellian nation of PRC where almost every VPN is blocked and you need bridges with Tor to access the web uncensored. ExpressVPN have some of the fastest and most stable servers you can use. You can be using the same server for weeks and even a month and it doesn't die out or disconnect. Very reliable for streaming and P2P the speed is close to my vanilla connection. No IP or DNS leaks easy to use and straight forward. The only real con is the damn price almost cost $100 for their best plan but 15 months of speedy and stable servers makes it worth it if you are a heavy streamer or downloader.
- Submitted By Alain Kaninda on 10/31/2019Overall it is good when it works. There are sites that cannot be unlocked. My greatest disastisfaction with Express VPN is the speed. I have a 40mbps connection, and it runs at speeds under 10 mbps.So sometimes, the pic quality is not as good as it should be. Except when I connect to the South African server. But It won't allow me to access services elesewhere. That's the biggest negative point of your service!!!
- Submitted By Martin on 10/30/2019I'm a new user of Express and I have not been impressed since day 1. Not a good VPN for use in China currently. Very few available connections and all very slow to connect. Once connected the speeds are incredibly poor. Whilst this may not be entirely Express's fault they do not seem to be responding as well as other VPN's to the changing restrictions in China. My previous VPN (Astrill) was much more reliable in China. I only switched as Express offered connectivity options for Apple TV and Raspberry PI. No chance to connect either under the current conditions. I'm cancelling my subscription and switching to another VPN before the 30 day trial expires. --
Surfshark is a new VPN service that already started making waves on the market thanks to its amazing speed and generous features. Read all about this promising service in our dedicated Surfshark review.