Mullvad and NordVPN both fall into the category of top-tier VPN providers, which is why it is not a least bit surprising that so many people have a hard time deciding which of these two VPNs to sign up for. One way to decide is to look at specific areas of service and see which of them does better.
- 5 simultaneous connections
- P2P allowed on all servers
- Cash and Bitcoin accepted
- Double encryption
- Netflix servers
- 3,500+ servers
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Matti_Linn on 09/08/2018Great for home use, less ideal for mobile. I've been using Mullvad for close to a year. Started with OpenVPN, but switched to WireGuard around six months ago. If you've got a compatible router, WireGuard is the best thing since sliced bread since it's much faster (almost 30% faster on my connection) than OpenVPN when you rely on anemic ARM-based router hardware to handle the encryption/decryption. Sadly, neither WireGuard nor OpenVPN are supported natively for iOS, so I have to employ a secondary IKEv2/IPsec VPN (rolled my own on a Digital Ocean VPS) for mobile use. Still, I'm giving Mullvad the full 5 stars because they support WireGuard and have the best sign-up procedure. I'm curious why it scored so low on this site's anonymity scale, considering they don't even ask for you're email.
- Submitted By lothar on 12/20/2017The top of the cream ! I've tested a lot of well known vpns (Norvpn, ExpressVpn, Vypr, PureVpn, PIA etc..) and I have been disapointed . Till I subscribe to Mullvad , fast and CLEAN connections (no proxies, no blacklisted ip , no open ports) Speed in Europa are really fast , I love their approach privacy focused , and their support fast and always friendly. It's a little team deeply involved in Internet freedom causes and I like that too. They allow to use (with Linux) WIREGUARD protocol which is (after 5 months of use) faultless , faster than open Vpn and so fluent . It's a real pleasure to use it. Well, Mullvad is for me more intelligent , technically reactive, more effective and have better ethics than all other Vpns that I know
- Submitted By Richard Adams on 10/22/2017The first vpn that allowed me to pay cash.
- Submitted By Eric Patterson on 10/11/2017It would be a perfect VPN if it allowed me to stream Netflix. Other than that, no complaints.
- Submitted By Steve Payne on 09/21/2018Verify that NordVPN's speed is acceptable through your internet connection before you sign up long-term or before the 30 day refund window expires. My ISP, Xfinity, gets 480 Mbps download when connected normally. If I connect via NordVPN, it drops to 8 Mbps. I have tried multiple configuration changes suggested by NordVPN support and none have made a significant difference. It's not just my Windows 10 systems(wired). It's very slow on my iPhone(wireless) and on my Raspberry Pi3B+ (wired). NordVPN support has been responsive they just haven't been capable of solving this problem. They don't appear to have the level of technical expertise or diagnostic tools available to support to find why NordVPN is so slow when the usual configuration changes aren't the issue.
- Submitted By John Smith on 08/18/2018I got a good deal on three years of NordVPN and went for it. I am new to VPNs (besides having tried hide.me for free for limited P2P usage) so it's possible other companies offer better services. Overall while I am satisfied with the service so far, there are a few ways it could be improved. I receive gigabit internet (usually around 500-800mbps in practical terms) but NordVPN is usually stuck around 100mbps - fine for regular usage, but limits the usefulness of my PC when connected to VPN. That said there are thousands of servers to choose from so YMMV. Certain websites don't play well with NordVPN as well, most notably Amazon. I'm unsure if that's a problem with other VPNs. Some positives: it's fairly quick to connect, the interface is simple, the kill switch is great, the mobile app is excellent and there is a huge choice of servers. Overall it works fine for my application - P2P, which it has dedicated servers for - but there a few frustrations I'd like to see resolved.
- Submitted By Cayo Medeiros on 08/09/2018I signed up on NordVPN after reading good reviews in different websites. The problem in those reviews though is that they are written based on shallow usage, the reviewers usually just installed to test it out and uninstalled afterwards. My recommendation as a real customer is: don't go for them. Their VPN doesn't work for multiple sites I've tried. And it's not that the website blocks all VPNs cause another VPN provider worked properly on those sites (not telling which as I'm not affiliated to them in any way.). And even after telling them that the websites X , Y and Z didn't work with them but worked with their competitor they wouldn't refund me because their TOS says so. Ridiculous. They advertise something, we buy it, they don't deliver and also don't refund us even partially. So I'm doing what I can: writing reviews everywhere to help people avoid falling in the same trap I did. --
- Submitted By Thomas Brown on 12/14/2017Nord is definitely one of the best VPNs right now. Most people complain about the price, but it’s actually not that high, there are tons of lousy services that charge the same. Trust me, it’s worth it.
NordVPN offers great speeds, lightweight services, and an excellent client to everyone looking to improve their privacy and access restricted websites and media just about anywhere in the world.