NordVPN and PureVPN are both excellent VPN service providers with solid customer bases and huge reputations to their name. However, they can’t both be equally good, which is why we took upon us to create this in-depth NordVPN vs. PureVPN comparison.
The best way to see what VPN providers are worth your time is to clash them against each other and observe which one comes out on top. We have identified the most important criteria that make or break a good company operating in this field and every one of those will be a hoop for these two to jump through.
You will see that each of them has its stronger and weaker points and you will also see which one fares better when everything is summed up. Every service provider in the world has its misgivings. Minimizing them to best suit YOUR needs is the true art of making a proper, informed choice.
- Double encryption
- Netflix servers
- 5,100+ servers
- Great compatibility
- Split tunneling
- NAT firewall
- Internet kill switch
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Yaretzi Peterson on 12/04/2019Usually, I stick to what I know and nordVPN happens to be just one of the examples of a reliable company that always delivers what’s promised. I really didn’t want to waste time or money on trying out some unknown brand and possibly ending up with a bad product. But what made me choose Nord yet again is that I use multiple brand devices and platforms for my job and Nord supports every one of them… it was really a no brainer.
- Submitted By Al Gonzalez on 11/29/2019I moved from ExpressVpn to Nord to save money and got the 1 year deal. Initially Nord has good performance in the first three-four months. Then there servers started disconnecting frequently sometimes the servers would stop working and you had to reconnect to a new one. This can be inconvenient if do stream or download a lot. After the security fallout with Nord where they had one of their servers hacked for almost an year, more Nord servers started having issues such as a missing password or otherwise you couldn't connect to them. The US servers were alright but they can sometimes stop working after a period of time. Express never had this problem. I spent nearly a month in one of their servers. With Nord you'd be hard pressed to stick with the same server for a day or two. Overall Nord is okay. The Kill Switch works. I did checks with Ipeaks both on my computer and phone Ive seen no DNS leaks so far. Comes with anti-adware/malware and it works. Autoconnect on phone is like the kill switch. Has potential overall to recover from the embarrassing security gaffe but Nords biggest challenge will be server stability. This seems to be a problem with a lot of new name and affordable vpns. Nord been in the game for a while but longevity of servers is very important. Hope they get their game together or otherwise might have to go back to Express or an equally good alternative.
- Submitted By Magnus on 10/26/2019Since the beginning of October, NordVPN does not work in Hangzhou AT ALL! I can't vouch for other cities. Their support team is polite but useless. They conceded they needed to *invent* a new protocol to get their VPN to work here. Even though a refund was requested by me within 30 days (for a renewal--they were great for a year!), they refused to answer my request and kept stalling my support ticket. I'm still awaiting my refund. USE THEM AT YOUR PERIL IF YOU LIVE IN CHINA! Caveat emptor!!
- Submitted By Sammi on 09/17/2019Love these guys even after having it for 2 years. Super fast and makes me feel safer online.
- Submitted By Luke Roberts on 01/05/2020I chose PureVPN because it offers the biggest coverage. I was immpresed by the number of servers which is around 2000 I think, and that I can pick by country. Also, it allows me to use my standard communication apps when I travel which I do a Lot. It’s annoying to install a different app every time I go to China or Dubai and lots of my business correspondence happens online and via skype.
- Submitted By Chris on 11/27/2019More than a month ago i have purchased PureVPN. I have tested it for less than a day and was not satisfied. The next day i wanted money refund. After many e-mails and support tickets, still no money refund. They don't even want to answer my tickets. I'm desperate and don't know what to do any more.
- Submitted By Alissa on 05/27/2019Not only did this VPN not serve the intended purpose, their customer service is the worst I have dealt with from any tech company in years. They were unhelpful and unwilling to honor their money back guarantee. I had to speak with at least seven representatives over two weeks to get anything resolved.
- Submitted By Brad Park on 11/27/2018Brad Park is my name. These guys are awful. Service does not work for netflix. Then I asked for refund. They said they OK. then the next day they said they can't refund due to "merchant limitations". And they offered me a gift card!!!! Don't sign up. The service is crappy and they are dishonest
NordVPN is widely known as one of the best services on the market thanks to its impressive features, bulletproof security setup, and knowledgeable 24/7 customer support. Read more in this honest review.
In our NordVPN vs. PureVPN comparison, we have examined different important areas that most customers focus on when choosing a provider. These include apps, support, IP type, protocols, prices, reliability, and security and protection. Take a look at what each of the two providers has to offer in these particular areas.
A little caveat before we dig deeper, however. It doesn’t always come down solely to pure quality since these VPN providers don’t have an equal number of options available. Sometimes, your choice will be as easy as “Hey, these guys don’t support my Xbox.” It is also important to note that just because one of these providers may have better results doesn’t mean that it is the right choice for your needs. That being said, let’s see what they have to offer!
- When it comes to different operating systems and platforms, NordVPN supports Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10), macOS, Android, iOS, Blackberry, routers, Raspberry Pi, Linux, Kodi, Amazon Firestick, and others.
- PureVPN is supported on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS, as well as on gaming consoles
Xboxand routers. It also works with Kodi, Amazon Firestick, Apple TV, Raspberry Pi, Kindle Fire, Blue Ray players, WebOS, and many other platforms.
- NordVPN offers solid 24/7 customer support, with a detailed knowledge base and FAQ section, as well as live chat and email support. 99% of potential questions can be answered by a quick glimpse through the FAQs while the live chat and email are the second rings of support for everything not found in the aforementioned section.
- PureVPN’s support is also available 24/7 via live chat, support ticket, and email. There’s also a comprehensive knowledgebase and FAQ on the official website.
- When it comes to the choice of IP addresses, NordVPN does very well. This provider offers dedicated IPs, as well as both static and dynamic shared IPs. You can also get a dedicated IP for a one-time fee of $70.
- PureVPN offers one dedicated IP per account, but you can also connect to shared servers. The company currently features more than 300,000 IPs.
- The one-month plan with NordVPN costs $11.95, the yearly subscription is $6.99 per month, and if you opt for a 2-year plan, you’ll pay only 3.99 per month. Finally, there’s also a 3-year plan that goes for just $2.99 per month. NordVPN offers a lengthy money-back guarantee of 30 days and accepts Bitcoin, but there is no free trial or free limited version available.
- PureVPN has a one-month subscription that is a bit cheaper than the competitor’s plan and comes up to $10.95. It also features 1-year and 2-year plans, priced at $5.81 and $3.33, respectively. There is no free trial, but
the money-back guarantee is valid for 31 days. PureVPN also accepts Bitcoin.
- NordVPN supports OpenVPN and IKEv2/IPSec.
- PureVPN covers StealthVPN, OpenVPN (TCP/UDP), IKEv2, L2TP, and PPTP.
Performance & Reliability
- NordVPN has over 5,100 servers in 60+ countries and allows up to 6 simultaneous connections. Speed, bandwidth, and server switching are unlimited and P2P is allowed.
- PureVPN has around 2,000 servers but in much more countries – 141 of them. It allows up to 5 simultaneous connections, which is one less than its competitor. Bandwidth, server switching, and speed are uncapped here as well.
Security & Protection
- NordVPN does not support IPv6 and does not offer split tunneling, NAT firewall, and ad or malware blockers. However, it does have an Internet kill switch, Wi-Fi protection, and a strict no-logs policy. The strongest encryption level is AES-256 and it can encrypt your traffic twice for extra security.
- When it comes to security, PureVPN has 1st party DNS servers, supports IPv6, has a kill switch, NAT firewall, and split tunneling, as well as Wi-Fi protection and AES-256 cipher. PureVPN implements a strict no-logging policy.