Private Internet Access and NordVPN are both top-notch VPN service providers. However, that does not mean that they are equally well suited for your needs. This expert Private Internet Access vs. NordVPN comparison can help you quickly find out which one to trust with your online privacy and security.
The following comparison is based on 7 major qualities of VPN service. The comparison breakdown below shows you exactly how Private Internet Access and NordVPN compare to one another in relation to the most important qualities of VPN protection.
- Zero user logs kept
- Offers SOCKS5 proxy
- Unlimited bandwidth
- P2P sharing allowed
- Double encryption
- Netflix servers
- 3,500+ servers
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Anonymous of course on 10/19/2018I love this VPN. I highly doubt I'll use any other VPN ever. The only thing I dislike about this provider is that Amazon streaming and Netflix streaming are blocked but that's fine. I use other streaming services. I cancelled my Netflix subscription and I'd cancel my prime membership to Amazon too if not for the free 2 day shipping. I'll sign up again when they let me be anonymous on the internet like everyone should be. Anyways this VPN has never had downtime for me and the Killswitch means I can p2p with no worries. Torrent freak has 2 articles about PIA being taken to court and PIA informing they have a no log policy and being unable to help with any logs. I'll trust these guys with my privacy for sure. Conclusion: if you can survive without streaming Netflix this VPN provides the best privacy and security and has had it's no log policy tested. 5 stars without a doubt.
- Submitted By Jose Cuervo on 10/02/2018I have been using PIA for several years now and am satisfied with the service. I originally used Viscosity as my client but the one from PIA has improved enough to make it the best option. Though I have not yet tried the Linux client, the ones on Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android work well. Since I stared using PIA, they have added a bunch more servers and the performance has never been an issue for me. The combination of features, compatability and server locations represents the best value for me....YMMV. PIA was my third and so far best VPN experience.
- Submitted By Maria Martonioni on 06/22/2017I liked this service for a while but I feel that lately they have started to slack a bit, especially when it comes to connection reliability. No matter what kind of server I connect to (I usually connect to US and UK ones, sometimes some European ones) the connection keeps dropping and I keep losing my protected connection which is definitely not cool.
- Submitted By Lyndon Hart on 11/19/2016Horrible service with awful customer support. They never ever helped me at all. One time I'm pretty certain a support tech called me a moron but in a polite way. I mean ok I understand I can be annoying but they are there for me, aren't they?
- Submitted By Andrew B on 12/10/2018The best ever VPN service that I've been tried before. LOTs of servers on every piece of this world. I am really appreciated that guys doing to be the best of the VPN service providers and at the same time being provide features like dedicated IP. Thanks nordvpn team!
- Submitted By Nafran on 10/26/2018I have NordVPN for almost a year and in these past couple of months I noticed quite a few improvements on the service as well as the application UX. The speed seems to have increased by at least 20mbps and I really like cybersec feature. All in all would recommend to anyone, especially if it was slightly cheaper.
- Submitted By Steve Payne on 09/21/2018Verify that NordVPN's speed is acceptable through your internet connection before you sign up long-term or before the 30 day refund window expires. My ISP, Xfinity, gets 480 Mbps download when connected normally. If I connect via NordVPN, it drops to 8 Mbps. I have tried multiple configuration changes suggested by NordVPN support and none have made a significant difference. It's not just my Windows 10 systems(wired). It's very slow on my iPhone(wireless) and on my Raspberry Pi3B+ (wired). NordVPN support has been responsive they just haven't been capable of solving this problem. They don't appear to have the level of technical expertise or diagnostic tools available to support to find why NordVPN is so slow when the usual configuration changes aren't the issue.
- Submitted By John Smith on 08/18/2018I got a good deal on three years of NordVPN and went for it. I am new to VPNs (besides having tried hide.me for free for limited P2P usage) so it's possible other companies offer better services. Overall while I am satisfied with the service so far, there are a few ways it could be improved. I receive gigabit internet (usually around 500-800mbps in practical terms) but NordVPN is usually stuck around 100mbps - fine for regular usage, but limits the usefulness of my PC when connected to VPN. That said there are thousands of servers to choose from so YMMV. Certain websites don't play well with NordVPN as well, most notably Amazon. I'm unsure if that's a problem with other VPNs. Some positives: it's fairly quick to connect, the interface is simple, the kill switch is great, the mobile app is excellent and there is a huge choice of servers. Overall it works fine for my application - P2P, which it has dedicated servers for - but there a few frustrations I'd like to see resolved.
NordVPN offers great speeds, lightweight services, and an excellent client to everyone looking to improve their privacy and access restricted websites and media just about anywhere in the world.
When choosing the best VPN service provider, the key is always in the details. Here is a detailed account of all major aspects of Private Internet Access and Nord VPN’s services. Read through it carefully and determine which one is more likely to provide you with everything you need from your VPN.
- Private Internet Access works on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. It allows you to use the software on 5 different devices and provides customized security for each supported device.
- NordVPN is compatible with Windows, Linux, Mac, iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone, as well as routers. It allows you to use it on 6 devices simultaneously.
- Private Internet Access has a great knowledge base and FAQ. Its forum is a great place for exchanging knowledge and experiences with other users while prompt help is available via 24/7 live chat.
- NordVPN also boasts an excellent knowledge base and FAQ. Support staff can be contacted through email or in case you need answers fast, you can turn to its live chat.
- Private Internet Access only offers shared IP addresses to its users.
- Unlike Private Internet Access, NordVPN offers both shared and dedicated IP addresses.
- Private Internet Access has 3 subscription plans that differ in the length of the subscription period. The monthly plan costs $6.95, the 6-month plan is $35.99 ($5.99 per month), and the annual plan costs $39.95 (only $3.33 per month).
- NordVPN also offers three plans. The price of the monthly subscription is $11.95, the six-month subscription costs $7 per month while the annual subscription costs $5.75 per month.
- Private Internet Access offers OpenVPN, L2TP, IPSec, and PPTP protocols.
- NordVPN offers OpenVPN, L2TP, and PPTP. It does not offer either IPSec or SSTP.
Performance & Reliability
- Private Internet Access boasts more than 3000 servers in 25 countries around the world. It is characterized by great speed and performance and comes with unlimited bandwidth. It includes DNS leak protection and allows P2P sharing.
- NordVPN has more than 1700 servers in 61 countries worldwide. It brings you unlimited bandwidth, speed, and server switching. P2P sharing is allowed.
Security & Protection
- Private Internet Access is equipped with a useful VPN kill switch and strong encryption that ensures a high level of security. It does not keep any logs and allows you to pay using BitCoin and remain absolutely anonymous.
- Just like Private Internet Access, NordVPN features a kill switch and bank-grade encryption. It also offers Wi-Fi protection as an additional perk. It does not keep logs of your activity and accepts BitCoin.