Private Internet Access and NordVPN are both top-notch VPN service providers. However, that does not mean that they are equally well suited for your needs. This expert Private Internet Access vs. NordVPN comparison can help you quickly find out which one to trust with your online privacy and security.
The following comparison is based on 7 major qualities of VPN service. The comparison breakdown below shows you exactly how Private Internet Access and NordVPN compare to one another in relation to the most important qualities of VPN protection.
- Zero user logs kept
- Offers SOCKS5 proxy
- Unlimited bandwidth
- P2P sharing allowed
- Double encryption
- Netflix servers
- 3,500+ servers
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Anonymous of course on 10/19/2018I love this VPN. I highly doubt I'll use any other VPN ever. The only thing I dislike about this provider is that Amazon streaming and Netflix streaming are blocked but that's fine. I use other streaming services. I cancelled my Netflix subscription and I'd cancel my prime membership to Amazon too if not for the free 2 day shipping. I'll sign up again when they let me be anonymous on the internet like everyone should be. Anyways this VPN has never had downtime for me and the Killswitch means I can p2p with no worries. Torrent freak has 2 articles about PIA being taken to court and PIA informing they have a no log policy and being unable to help with any logs. I'll trust these guys with my privacy for sure.Conclusion: if you can survive without streaming Netflix this VPN provides the best privacy and security and has had it's no log policy tested. 5 stars without a doubt.
- Submitted By Jose Cuervo on 10/02/2018I have been using PIA for several years now and am satisfied with the service. I originally used Viscosity as my client but the one from PIA has improved enough to make it the best option. Though I have not yet tried the Linux client, the ones on Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android work well. Since I stared using PIA, they have added a bunch more servers and the performance has never been an issue for me. The combination of features, compatability and server locations represents the best value for me....YMMV. PIA was my third and so far best VPN experience.
- Submitted By Maria Martonioni on 06/22/2017I liked this service for a while but I feel that lately they have started to slack a bit, especially when it comes to connection reliability. No matter what kind of server I connect to (I usually connect to US and UK ones, sometimes some European ones) the connection keeps dropping and I keep losing my protected connection which is definitely not cool.
- Submitted By Lyndon Hart on 11/19/2016Horrible service with awful customer support. They never ever helped me at all. One time I'm pretty certain a support tech called me a moron but in a polite way. I mean ok I understand I can be annoying but they are there for me, aren't they?
- Submitted By Sammi on 09/17/2019Love these guys even after having it for 2 years. Super fast and makes me feel safer online.
- Submitted By Nome Loplagies on 09/02/2019NordVPN with USA servers, using it from Mexico with Netflix, EPIX, STARZ, Dish, and Roku channels: Pioneer TV 50” 4K, software version: V8-MS86MNA-LF1V136, flawlessly working Netflix App 4.3.5 since I bought it Roku devices, every two weeks VPN client server needs to be change because Netflix add it to its blacklist. Other Apps in Roku devices like STARZ, CBS All access, NBC, Epix, Pandora, PBS, etc. from Dish subscription are working without a flaw Local network (wired and wireless) is through an Asus router RT-AC3100 ISP is TelMex, fiber optics link, DMZ port designated on primary router from ISP for Asus router Routine as follows: 1) Download latest UDP servers from NordVPN 2) Find optimal USA servers with phone VPN app 3) Choose from newest UDP servers on list, matching better performance ones 4) Apply new profile to Asus or edit and upload .ovpn file 5) Reset Roku to test new VPN settings
- Submitted By GLV on 08/19/2019I just spent 3 weeks in China. (July-August 2019). I was able to access Google and banned sites without problems. (Option: "Obfuscated Servers"). I used my Android smartphone and my Windows 10 ultrabook with NordVPN applications. I was using Wi-Fi and a Chinese 4G LTE SIM card from "China Telecom". Obviously the connection was sometimes lost. But overall I am very happy to have chosen NordVPN. This goes through the Great Firewall of China (GFW) ! My only concern was during very big download (+1GB) on Western servers. Very slow, if not impossible. (This being more a concern for server redundancy in Asia than VPN). But to surf normally, for music or YouTube, WeChat, Signal, etc. no problem. [GLV - Switzerland]
- Submitted By Stephen Bramell on 06/26/2019I'm a former Network Engineer with 25 years IT experience, I've also used several mainstream VPN services. NordVPN is by far the best of the best, not only in features, but in price! The Specialty Servers they offer are unheard of & amazing! My personal favorite is the Double VPN! However, they have specific servers dedicated too P2P, ONION, etc Not to mention a huge list of cities. I went for the 3 year plan & will be renewing. BTW, I use Netflix, Amazon, PC & Xbox One X gaming across it, all without any issues. Needless too say I highly recommend you give Nord a chance, I mean it's got a 30 day money back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose, except your security by NOT trying?
NordVPN is widely known as one of the best services on the market thanks to its impressive features, bulletproof security setup, and knowledgeable 24/7 customer support. Read more in this honest review.
When choosing the best VPN service provider, the key is always in the details. Here is a detailed account of all major aspects of Private Internet Access and Nord VPN’s services. Read through it carefully and determine which one is more likely to provide you with everything you need from your VPN.
- Private Internet Access works on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. It allows you to use the software on 5 different devices and provides customized security for each supported device.
- NordVPN is compatible with Windows, Linux, Mac, iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone, as well as routers. It allows you to use it on 6 devices simultaneously.
- Private Internet Access has a great knowledge base and FAQ. Its forum is a great place for exchanging knowledge and experiences with other users while prompt help is available via 24/7 live chat.
- NordVPN also boasts an excellent knowledge base and FAQ. Support staff can be contacted through email or in case you need answers fast, you can turn to its live chat.
- Private Internet Access only offers shared IP addresses to its users.
- Unlike Private Internet Access, NordVPN offers both shared and dedicated IP addresses.
- Private Internet Access has 3 subscription plans that differ in the length of the subscription period. The monthly plan costs $6.95, the 6-month plan is $35.99 ($5.99 per month), and the annual plan costs $39.95 (only $3.33 per month).
- NordVPN also offers three plans. The price of the monthly subscription is $11.95, the six-month subscription costs $7 per month while the annual subscription costs $5.75 per month.
- Private Internet Access offers OpenVPN, L2TP, IPSec, and PPTP protocols.
- NordVPN offers OpenVPN, L2TP, and PPTP. It does not offer either IPSec or SSTP.
Performance & Reliability
- Private Internet Access boasts more than 3000 servers in 25 countries around the world. It is characterized by great speed and performance and comes with unlimited bandwidth. It includes DNS leak protection and allows P2P sharing.
- NordVPN has more than 1700 servers in 61 countries worldwide. It brings you unlimited bandwidth, speed, and server switching. P2P sharing is allowed.
Security & Protection
- Private Internet Access is equipped with a useful VPN kill switch and strong encryption that ensures a high level of security. It does not keep any logs and allows you to pay using BitCoin and remain absolutely anonymous.
- Just like Private Internet Access, NordVPN features a kill switch and bank-grade encryption. It also offers Wi-Fi protection as an additional perk. It does not keep logs of your activity and accepts BitCoin.