Private Tunnel and ExpressVPN both fall into the category of top-tier VPN providers, which is why it is not a least bit surprising that so many people have a hard time deciding which of these two VPNs to sign up for. One way to decide is to look at specific areas of service and see which of them does better.
- Super experienced team
- Budget-friendly prices
- Free 7-day trial period
- No logging policy
- Strong encryption
- Torrenting allowed
- Over 1,500 servers
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Billy on 04/01/2019U had a nice fixed bandwidth package that would have lasted me for years.Because I accidentally signed up for a trial account, the bandwidth package was lost (they admitted this was a bug in their website).They won't reinstate my bandwidth package, saying that it is impossible (really, with all the expertise they can't edit a bandwidth counter?).The problem is that they don't want to, they would rather have me sign up for an overpriced monthly subscription.Super customer unfriendly, would not recommend.
- Submitted By iannick on 07/17/2018The data service itself is... OK. Sometimes was really slow, and some sites wouldn't accept traffic from their POP's. Was able to connect about 95% of the time. I'd say choppy/slow about 30% or so, though I'm a latenight user m'self. The real downfall, though, is the customer service. I bought a "no expiration" data plan when they first got started and haven't finished using all my data. They changed their business model but won't honor prior agreements. Many appeals to sales@ and support@ with requests for them to honor the agreement THAT I PAID FOR were ignored and what I got instead was "cancelled." They cancelled my "no expiration" account while I still had data on it, and still no consideration for the fact that I bought something from them and they are refusing to deliver it. If you're a #classaction #attorney looking for a class-action #target, may I suggest PrivateTunnel? I'd make a stink about it on principle, but honestly, my stress is worth more way more than their crappy data. I wasn't going to renew with them anyway, but I'd still like to use what I paid for.
- Submitted By Sarah Robinson on 10/13/2017I like the trial thing. It's the best way to see if somebody will like the vpn or not.
- Submitted By Donald Phillips on 09/23/2017I'm not all that into the whole IT craze and couldn't learn anything from the site. At least the support guys were quick on their feet.
- Submitted By Al on 04/25/2019As of April 2019, Express barely works in China. Either you cannot connect, takes forever to connect or keeps getting disconnected. You have been warned.
- Submitted By Dale on 03/24/2019This has been nothing but trouble. After setting it up, it ran at 1/5 the normal internet speed, their claims of transparency notwithstanding. Trying the same servers on three other VPNs all returned speeds about 15% below the usual, so it clearly was very slow. Contacting support was not helpful, as they blamed variables that were the same for all the VPNs tested. They were more interesting in explaining it away then addressing the issues. The geoblocking worked for 12 hours, and then the next day I could not access geoblocked US sites. Two hours online help did not resolve the problem. While support is immediate, it simply did nothing to alleviate the problem. I am shocked, as this service gets nearly universal acclaim for reliability and speed, but that was not the case for me. Nearly every VPN I have used worked better than this, including the free ones. My setup is not unusual. I opted for this one because I could set it up on the Apple TV and it promised to override the geoblocking. In my case, anyway, it turned out to be a colossal waste of time, energy, and money
- Submitted By Kwok-on Lo on 13/02/2019I have been working in China for the past 7 years and relied 90% of the time on Express VPN. Our company has 5 subscriptions. I wish they would have a white label so that we could provide our shareholders with a custom branded experience. The Mobile app for phones is fantastic, connects quickly and rock solid. I can't say the same for the desktop version when operating in China. For some reason on Windows 10 desktop, I'd say the reliability is about 70% nowadays. Sometimes, has a very hard time connecting, sometimes unstable as the great firewall gets smarter every day.
ExpressVPN is one of the top VPN services located in the British Virgin Islands and sporting a solid security setup, vast server network, excellent speeds and performance, and impressive geo-spoofing capabilities.