Smart DNS Proxy VS ProtonVPN Comparison
This website features affiliate links. For purchases made via these links, we earn commissions that allow us to keep producing helpful content. To find out more click here. Close
ProtonVPN and Smart DNS Proxy both fall into the category of top-tier VPN providers, which is why it is not a least bit surprising that so many people have a hard time deciding which of these two VPNs to sign up for. One way to decide is to look at specific areas of service and see which of them does better.
Best For Security Buffs
Best For Avid Streamers
ProtonVPN is a powerful VPN solution that enables you to enjoy great speeds, excellent performance, and maximum security and privacy. It keeps no logs, offers built-in Tor and P2P support, and allows up to 10 concurrent connections.
- Great ease of use
- AES-256 encryption
- DNS leak protection
Smart DNS Proxy offers an interesting combo of Smart DNS and a VPN. The Smart DNS service is there to provide blazing fast speeds while streaming and the VPN allows you to stay safe and anonymous with strong encryption and zero logs.
- Excellent speeds
- Rather affordable
- 14-day free trial
- Allows torrenting
* The prices shown represent the cost of one month within different subscriptions. To see all available plans and pricing options, check individual reviews.
Smart DNS Proxy
Number Of Servers
520+ (a couple fo them are free)
Number Of Countries
AES-256; RSA-2048 key exchange; HMAC with SHA-256 authentication
Up to 10 - Visionary Plan; 1 - Free Plan
DNS Leak Protection
Number Of Servers
Number Of Countries
OpenVPN, STP, IKEv1, IKEv2, L2TP, PPTP
DNS Leak Protection
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By SB135 on 07/31/2019I'm happy with ProtonVPN, in todays world of hacking, its best to be safe than sorry, so if you can afford the Visionary Plan go for it, gives you both encrypted email for your own email and domain names and ProtonVPN is included in that price. If there is company worth supporting by buying a subscription it is certainly this one. I also like the idea that it is Swiss based. Very Happy, i highly recommend ProtonVPN to all internet users and if you can afford it buying a yearly subscription is worth the effort! You simply can't put a price of security these days!
- Submitted By Libero Zagreo on 02/28/2019I have a Plus account and I use it both on Linux (Debian) and Android. I don't know why many websites don't consider Proton in they comparisons: it seems to be an excellent VPN service, not cheap but if you can afford a Plus account it's worth the money. Visionary is very expensive but it's for companies and most users don't need it at all. Speed is decent and, if you use a close server, it's almost equal to your normal speed. What i like of Proton is the secure-core option (only for Plus and Visionary) that allow you to use an extra server located in a privacy-friendly country and the TOR servers: thanks to TOR servers you can browse onion sites without installing TOR: you just enable onion in Firefox from "about:config": find "network.dns.blockDotOnion;true", double click and change it to "network.dns.blockDotOnion;false". You are done! On Android it works like a charm both on wifi and data. For Linux users my advice is to use the command line version rather than manage it from the network-manager. My final thought about it: ProtonVPN is a solid reliable service to protect your privacy and encrypt your traffic.
- Submitted By Bharat Sahu on 02/19/20195 stars
- Submitted By Martin Dale on 05/28/2018This is brilliant for what I want it for, using it for Windows now just waiting for it to be on the Amazon Firestick/TV.
- Submitted By paul on 10/13/2019iam not in my 3 year with smart DNS proxy in canada were i live i have only one choice of a internet , that onlu gaves me 15 MPS and smart dns proxy works verry good for me on all my devices and on my 65 inch sony android smart tv i even get 4k shows andmovies
- Submitted By Gordon andrade on 03/15/2019They started off having access to a whole load of netflix regions but now it's only the US. I am unable to understand why their service is unable to work on my smart tv or fire stick.. works perfectly on my ps3.. their support though 24/7 says change router.. seriously.. I've been with them for 3 years. Time to change.. I'm sure there are better ones
- Submitted By Jon Beckson on 10/26/2018Unstable and unreliable. I e had nothing much more than problems with this service. I just wanted something simple that allowed me to view Netflix and various UK tv catch up services. What I’ve got is a system that constantly fails to obscure my location. I co tact the support and am told to go into my router and change all manner if settings, I’m not computer geek!. I’ve do e this twice at their behest and now it’s stopoed workojg again and they want me to change a load more settings . I give up,with it, it’s very poor and not what I expected.
- Submitted By Bilou on 01/11/2018Review: I've tested many DNS proxy and VPN providers for hours to test features & VPN configuration over different protocols in order to reach the best streaming performance from South Africa and SmartDNS proxy turned out to be the fastest but also the easiest to set up on a DD-WRT based router whether for basic DNS proxy or VPN using the standard DD-WRT openvpn client interface. For me the advantages / limitations noticed are as follow: SmartDNS proxy (proxy only) pros: - easy to set up - automatic update features available for DD-WRT routers - works with netflix (intermittent disruptions due to Netflix ban engine probably that kicks in sometimes) - works with europe / us tv channels cons: - intermittent disruptions noted on Netflix which "detects proxy" SmartDNS proxy using their VPN engine: pros: - fastest & stable of all VPN providers tested - easy and straightforward OpenVPN protocol configuration on DD-WRT - app on iOS does 100% the job - works 100% with European TV channels (better and faster than using just a DNS proxy despite the encryption involved) cons: - does not work with Netflix (when using OpenVPN)
View this full overview of ProtonVPN’s impressive features and explore its usability, functionality, and affordability as well as its greatest shortcomings in our easy-to-understand ProtonVPN review.