Surfshark and Smart DNS Proxy are highly popular worldwide thanks to the high level of protection and anonymity they provide. They are fast, reliable, and safe, which is why we warmly recommend them as premium-quality VPN solutions. However, if you are curious to find out which one of them represents a more advantageous option, this Surfshark VS Smart DNS Proxy comparison can help you see exactly how they compare to one another and which one boasts a more impressive offer.
- Excellent speeds
- Rather affordable
- 14-day free trial
- Allows torrenting
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Lionel on 05/10/2019Surfshark seems to be one of the most affordable VPN's on the market. That's not a bad thing, but there are some issues I have with it. Their customer service is OK, I have nothing to complain about that. There are plenty of server locations, so there's nothing to complain either. The bad thing is stability. In my case, Surfshark proved to be extremely, not very, but extremely unstable with very frequent random disconnections. I tried every possible solution I found on the web, but nothing worked. Simply put, I had at least three random disconnections per day, "DNS Event ID 1014" always being the problem. I had no such problems with some free VPN's, but these were either much slower or had DNS leaking. Because of frequent random disconnections in my case I can only give 2 stars, otherwise it would be 5 stars.
- Submitted By Bru on 05/06/2019Not to sound very naive but I wasn't actually concerned about my safety that much when I subscribed. I really just wanted to unblock some more content so I can chill and do nothing even more. But once I got it and saw some of the features they offer I was quite intrigued to find out what they do. I'm perfectly happy with the kill switch and clean web. All in all I'm having a neat experience with them.
- Submitted By Marques on 04/26/2019I'm quite impressed with the Smart DNS. I have an LG smart TV and I wasn't able to setup any other VPN to work on that, Surfshark works just fine. Finally!
- Submitted By Tiffany on 04/16/2019I've been using it for foreign streaming services, UK Netflix to be more precise. There are minor connection drops, but luckily, there's a killswitch feature, which works. Overall - very solid provider.
- Submitted By Gordon andrade on 03/15/2019They started off having access to a whole load of netflix regions but now it's only the US. I am unable to understand why their service is unable to work on my smart tv or fire stick.. works perfectly on my ps3.. their support though 24/7 says change router.. seriously.. I've been with them for 3 years. Time to change.. I'm sure there are better ones
- Submitted By Jon Beckson on 10/26/2018Unstable and unreliable.I e had nothing much more than problems with this service. I just wanted something simple that allowed me to view Netflix and various UK tv catch up services. What I’ve got is a system that constantly fails to obscure my location.I co tact the support and am told to go into my router and change all manner if settings, I’m not computer geek!. I’ve do e this twice at their behest and now it’s stopoed workojg again and they want me to change a load more settings . I give up,with it, it’s very poor and not what I expected.
- Submitted By Bilou on 01/11/2018Review: I've tested many DNS proxy and VPN providers for hours to test features & VPN configuration over different protocols in order to reach the best streaming performance from South Africa and SmartDNS proxy turned out to be the fastest but also the easiest to set up on a DD-WRT based router whether for basic DNS proxy or VPN using the standard DD-WRT openvpn client interface. For me the advantages / limitations noticed are as follow: SmartDNS proxy (proxy only) pros: - easy to set up - automatic update features available for DD-WRT routers - works with netflix (intermittent disruptions due to Netflix ban engine probably that kicks in sometimes) - works with europe / us tv channels cons: - intermittent disruptions noted on Netflix which "detects proxy" SmartDNS proxy using their VPN engine: pros: - fastest & stable of all VPN providers tested - easy and straightforward OpenVPN protocol configuration on DD-WRT - app on iOS does 100% the job - works 100% with European TV channels (better and faster than using just a DNS proxy despite the encryption involved) cons: - does not work with Netflix (when using OpenVPN)
- Submitted By Tim Rickson on 10/24/2017the vpn is a joke but smart dns is as good as it gets
Surfshark is a new VPN service that already started making waves on the market thanks to its amazing speed and generous features. Read all about this promising service in our dedicated Surfshark review.