Smart DNS Proxy and Total VPN are considered to be among the best VPN companies in the world. To an inexperienced eye, they may seem almost identical. Users interested in getting a VPN often face a dilemma concerning which of these two to go for and which provider is better for their particular needs.
- Excellent speeds
- Rather affordable
- 14-day free trial
- Allows torrenting
- 99% uptime
- 30+ locations
- Easy to use
- Uncapped speed and data
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Jon Beckson on 10/26/2018Unstable and unreliable. I e had nothing much more than problems with this service. I just wanted something simple that allowed me to view Netflix and various UK tv catch up services. What I’ve got is a system that constantly fails to obscure my location. I co tact the support and am told to go into my router and change all manner if settings, I’m not computer geek!. I’ve do e this twice at their behest and now it’s stopoed workojg again and they want me to change a load more settings . I give up,with it, it’s very poor and not what I expected.
- Submitted By Bilou on 01/11/2018Review: I've tested many DNS proxy and VPN providers for hours to test features & VPN configuration over different protocols in order to reach the best streaming performance from South Africa and SmartDNS proxy turned out to be the fastest but also the easiest to set up on a DD-WRT based router whether for basic DNS proxy or VPN using the standard DD-WRT openvpn client interface. For me the advantages / limitations noticed are as follow: SmartDNS proxy (proxy only) pros: - easy to set up - automatic update features available for DD-WRT routers - works with netflix (intermittent disruptions due to Netflix ban engine probably that kicks in sometimes) - works with europe / us tv channels cons: - intermittent disruptions noted on Netflix which "detects proxy" SmartDNS proxy using their VPN engine: pros: - fastest & stable of all VPN providers tested - easy and straightforward OpenVPN protocol configuration on DD-WRT - app on iOS does 100% the job - works 100% with European TV channels (better and faster than using just a DNS proxy despite the encryption involved) cons: - does not work with Netflix (when using OpenVPN)
- Submitted By Tim Rickson on 10/24/2017the vpn is a joke but smart dns is as good as it gets
- Submitted By Allan Dawson on 08/21/2017Really great smart DNS, but I have no idea what they were trying to do with this VPN thingy.
- Submitted By NamanModi123 on 08/22/2018I appreciate that you took a simple, how to article by explaining the process step by step and how to build momentum. I have been using TotalVpn over the years and not found any issues so far. TotalVpn has been in the web hosting industry for many years. TotalVpn has cleared all the customers' issues in the past and improved users expectation. This is the plus point of TotalVpn.
- Submitted By Elliot on 12/08/2017Really great service, never had any problem and working perfectly on my raspberry ! But a recent chat with the support tell me that they don't accept new customers and renewing existing customers neither. Later on, they admit to tell me that the company is regretabbly shutting down...
- Submitted By Harry Benson on 09/02/2016TotalVPN has a very good security suite, which is the number one reason I chose them. Technically, the speed is a bit flaky, but I can live with that.
- Submitted By Hackney Lass on 08/12/2016I contacted the TotalVPN support, or at least I attempted to. For some reason I was unable to use the online chat so I had to write them an email. It took them several hours to respond. They were nice and all, but I think they should be faster.
TotalVPN is one of those VPN providers you will definitely be hearing more about in the coming years as they just keep upping their game and offering more and more benefits and perks to their users.