Choosing your new VPN service provider is an important task that should not be taken lightly, considering your online privacy and anonymity are at stake. Still, it is comforting to know that you have narrowed your choice down to two excellent providers. TunnelBear and Private Internet Access are among the best VPNs around. Now, all that is left for you to do is find out which one possesses all the handy features you want to find in your VPN.
This detailed TunnelBear vs. Private Internet Access comparison is based on 7 crucial aspects of VPN protection. It will show you exactly how well these two VPN service providers do in each of these aspects and help you choose the one that better suits your needs.
- Strong encryption
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Limited free version
- Payments via BitCoin
- Zero user logs kept
- Offers SOCKS5 proxy
- Unlimited bandwidth
- P2P sharing allowed
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Peter Anderson, on 04/10/2017Good set of features but too slow for my taste.
- Submitted By Farah Giles, on 03/17/2017It’s real simple, a monkey could use it. On the downside, it stopped working on my Android phone a few weeks ago and I still haven’t managed to fix it, user support sucks.
- Submitted By Dan Rowland, on 03/12/2017Pretty satisfied, just can’t believe it doesn’t allow torrenting, what’s up with that?
- Submitted By Maria Martonioni on 06/22/2017I liked this service for a while but I feel that lately they have started to slack a bit, especially when it comes to connection reliability. No matter what kind of server I connect to (I usually connect to US and UK ones, sometimes some European ones) the connection keeps dropping and I keep losing my protected connection which is definitely not cool.
- Submitted By Lyndon Hart on 11/19/2016Horrible service with awful customer support. They never ever helped me at all. One time I'm pretty certain a support tech called me a moron but in a polite way. I mean ok I understand I can be annoying but they are there for me, aren't they?
- Submitted By HughLeeUK on 11/11/2016Private Internet Access is a decent, solid and overall enjoyable vpn service. Sure, they could be faster but I mean it's vpn so what can you expect. My connections are solid most of the time and I also appreciate their tutorials, which are very helpful and written in a way that everyone can understand.
With an impressive network of servers all over the world, an easy to use client, and decent connection speeds, Private Internet Access is a highly popular VPN service that provides good value for money.
Our experts can easily say which of these two VPN services is better overall. However, only you can determine which one is a better choice for you personally. In this TunnelBear vs. Private Internet Access comparison breakdown, every detail of their offers is displayed side by side. This allows you to see which one is compatible with all the devices you use, better suited for your favorite activities, offers better value for your money, and more. Let’s take a look.
- TunnelBear offers client software for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. It also offers plug-ins for Opera and Google Chrome. You can install it on all your devices and use it on up to 5 devices at the same time.
- Private Internet Access is compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. It allows 5 simultaneous connections and offers customized security for all of the supported devices.
- TunnelBear has an excellent Help page with specialized article sections for different operating systems and general topics. Navigation is made easy by the search button. You can contact the support staff via the online contact form and normally, you can get an answer within 24 hours. Unfortunately, TunnelBear does not offer live chat.
- Private Internet Access has a great support section, where you can find answers to the most basic questions. It allows you to interact with other users via the forum and get quick answers to all of your questions via the 24/7 live chat.
- TunnelBear offers shared/dynamic IP addresses to its users.
- Just like TunnelBear, Private Internet Access does not offer static but only shared IPs.
- TunnelBear offers 3 different plans: Little, Giant, and Grizzly. The Little plan is free and comes with 500 MB of bandwidth per month (tweet and get 1 GB as a gift). The giant plan is a monthly plan that comes with unlimited data and costs $9.99. The Grizzly plan offers the same benefits as the Giant plan, only it is billed yearly and costs $4.99 per month.
- Private Internet Access also offers 3 plans – monthly, semi-annual, and annual. The monthly plan is $6.95, the semi-annual is $35.99 ($5.99 per month), and the most affordable annual package costs $39.95 per year ($3.33 per month).
- TunnelBear uses OpenVPN UDP and TCP and IPSec/IKEVv2 protocols.
- Private Internet Access uses OpenVPN, L2TP, IPSec, and PPTP protocols.
Performance & Reliability
- TunnelBear operates servers in more than 20 world countries. It offers great speed with a minimal increase in latency and solid performance. It prevents VPN blocking and offers unlimited bandwidth with a subscription. P2P is not allowed.
- Private Internet Access has more than 3260 servers in 25 countries worldwide. It allows you to enjoy a smooth performance and excellent speeds, with no DNS leaks. Your subscription comes with unlimited bandwidth. P2P sharing is allowed.
Security & Protection
- TunnelBear uses advanced 256-bit AES encryption with SHA256 authentication, brings you the special GhostBear feature for harder detectability, as well as a kill switch, and does not keep any logs. You can stay completely anonymous by paying with BitCoin (you can even pay with jars of honey!).
- Private Internet Access also features strong encryption and a kill switch and does not keep logs of your activity. Just like TunnelBear, it offers you absolute anonymity by allowing you to pay with BitCoin.