Hola VS Smart DNS Proxy Comparison
This website features affiliate links. For purchases made via these links, we earn commissions that allow us to keep producing helpful content. To find out more click here. Close
When it comes to the popularity and quality of service, Smart DNS Proxy and Hola are very similar. Because of this, it can be tough for a user to decide which VPN to opt for. One provider has to be better, if not completely, then at least in those areas that interest you, the future user, the most.
Best For Avid Streamers
Best For Casual Users
Smart DNS Proxy offers an interesting combo of Smart DNS and a VPN. The Smart DNS service is there to provide blazing fast speeds while streaming and the VPN allows you to stay safe and anonymous with strong encryption and zero logs.
- Excellent speeds
- Rather affordable
- 14-day free trial
- Allows torrenting
Hola is a one-of-a-kind P2P VPN service, which provides you with unlimited access to any website, safe browsing, smooth video streaming, and ad-free surfing. The best part? Hola is a free VPN.
- Free for Windows & Mac
- Unlimited IP switching
- Excellent ad blocker
- 30-day refund policy
* The prices shown represent the cost of one month within different subscriptions. To see all available plans and pricing options, check individual reviews.
Smart DNS Proxy
Number Of Servers
Number Of Countries
OpenVPN, STP, IKEv1, IKEv2, L2TP, PPTP
DNS Leak Protection
Number Of Servers
Number Of Countries
connection + usage logs
DNS Leak Protection
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By paul on 10/13/2019iam not in my 3 year with smart DNS proxy in canada were i live i have only one choice of a internet , that onlu gaves me 15 MPS and smart dns proxy works verry good for me on all my devices and on my 65 inch sony android smart tv i even get 4k shows andmovies
- Submitted By Gordon andrade on 03/15/2019They started off having access to a whole load of netflix regions but now it's only the US. I am unable to understand why their service is unable to work on my smart tv or fire stick.. works perfectly on my ps3.. their support though 24/7 says change router.. seriously.. I've been with them for 3 years. Time to change.. I'm sure there are better ones
- Submitted By Jon Beckson on 10/26/2018Unstable and unreliable. I e had nothing much more than problems with this service. I just wanted something simple that allowed me to view Netflix and various UK tv catch up services. What I’ve got is a system that constantly fails to obscure my location. I co tact the support and am told to go into my router and change all manner if settings, I’m not computer geek!. I’ve do e this twice at their behest and now it’s stopoed workojg again and they want me to change a load more settings . I give up,with it, it’s very poor and not what I expected.
- Submitted By Bilou on 01/11/2018Review: I've tested many DNS proxy and VPN providers for hours to test features & VPN configuration over different protocols in order to reach the best streaming performance from South Africa and SmartDNS proxy turned out to be the fastest but also the easiest to set up on a DD-WRT based router whether for basic DNS proxy or VPN using the standard DD-WRT openvpn client interface. For me the advantages / limitations noticed are as follow: SmartDNS proxy (proxy only) pros: - easy to set up - automatic update features available for DD-WRT routers - works with netflix (intermittent disruptions due to Netflix ban engine probably that kicks in sometimes) - works with europe / us tv channels cons: - intermittent disruptions noted on Netflix which "detects proxy" SmartDNS proxy using their VPN engine: pros: - fastest & stable of all VPN providers tested - easy and straightforward OpenVPN protocol configuration on DD-WRT - app on iOS does 100% the job - works 100% with European TV channels (better and faster than using just a DNS proxy despite the encryption involved) cons: - does not work with Netflix (when using OpenVPN)
- Submitted By Patricia Haas on 01/10/2020Everything is great apart from one thing, there is a log of my history and I didn’t know that when I was deciding on Hola. The whole point of vpn is anonymity and not that I think someone from the company is going to use it against me but I don’t feel comfortable knowing thath there’s a trace of my activities.
- Submitted By Lina Whitney on 11/07/2019I’ve read about the premium perks and I must say it really makes a difference! I use all Apple devices so for me it wasn’t really an option but was is impressive is that you can have up to 10 connections at the same time which I didn’t see anywhere else.
- Submitted By Patricia Freeman on 10/22/2019I posted my paintings on Hola. I quickly received $21, but couldn’t payout. I used PayPal to receive the money, but it kept prompting me to enter a confirmation number that was never sent. The other two forms payments were “coming soon.” I couldn’t close my account and you can’t send an email to hola because that link doesn’t work either. This app is shady and I wouldn’t suggest it to anyone.
- Submitted By Gabriele Milauro on 11/11/2018Last month I paid for the premium membership but for some strange reason my account type was "free", so I've sent an email to fix it and you never answered! Plus to make things worse this month I got a mail where I've been charged again with the new premium monthly membership...... Better to have nothing to do with this poor service
Smart DNS Proxy is an unusual service that allows you to enjoy both the great streaming speeds offered by Smart DNS and the protection VPN provides. Learn more about it in this expert-made Smart DNS review.