Nord VPN and CactusVPN are two VPN companies that are considered by both users and experts to be among the best in the business. How to decide which provider to subscribe for? You need to compare them carefully, bearing in mind your own particular needs and what you need a VPN for in the first place.
- Double encryption
- Netflix servers
- 3,500+ servers
- Unlimited bandwidth
- AES 256-bit encryption
- No activity logs policy
- Free trial version
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Steve Payne on 09/21/2018Verify that NordVPN's speed is acceptable through your internet connection before you sign up long-term or before the 30 day refund window expires. My ISP, Xfinity, gets 480 Mbps download when connected normally. If I connect via NordVPN, it drops to 8 Mbps. I have tried multiple configuration changes suggested by NordVPN support and none have made a significant difference. It's not just my Windows 10 systems(wired). It's very slow on my iPhone(wireless) and on my Raspberry Pi3B+ (wired). NordVPN support has been responsive they just haven't been capable of solving this problem. They don't appear to have the level of technical expertise or diagnostic tools available to support to find why NordVPN is so slow when the usual configuration changes aren't the issue.
- Submitted By John Smith on 08/18/2018I got a good deal on three years of NordVPN and went for it. I am new to VPNs (besides having tried hide.me for free for limited P2P usage) so it's possible other companies offer better services. Overall while I am satisfied with the service so far, there are a few ways it could be improved. I receive gigabit internet (usually around 500-800mbps in practical terms) but NordVPN is usually stuck around 100mbps - fine for regular usage, but limits the usefulness of my PC when connected to VPN. That said there are thousands of servers to choose from so YMMV. Certain websites don't play well with NordVPN as well, most notably Amazon. I'm unsure if that's a problem with other VPNs. Some positives: it's fairly quick to connect, the interface is simple, the kill switch is great, the mobile app is excellent and there is a huge choice of servers. Overall it works fine for my application - P2P, which it has dedicated servers for - but there a few frustrations I'd like to see resolved.
- Submitted By Cayo Medeiros on 08/09/2018I signed up on NordVPN after reading good reviews in different websites. The problem in those reviews though is that they are written based on shallow usage, the reviewers usually just installed to test it out and uninstalled afterwards. My recommendation as a real customer is: don't go for them. Their VPN doesn't work for multiple sites I've tried. And it's not that the website blocks all VPNs cause another VPN provider worked properly on those sites (not telling which as I'm not affiliated to them in any way.). And even after telling them that the websites X , Y and Z didn't work with them but worked with their competitor they wouldn't refund me because their TOS says so. Ridiculous. They advertise something, we buy it, they don't deliver and also don't refund us even partially. So I'm doing what I can: writing reviews everywhere to help people avoid falling in the same trap I did. --
- Submitted By Thomas Brown on 12/14/2017Nord is definitely one of the best VPNs right now. Most people complain about the price, but it’s actually not that high, there are tons of lousy services that charge the same. Trust me, it’s worth it.
- Submitted By Laurence Reeves on 07/09/2018I have been with cactus for quite a few years now, I love the brand and customer service that they provide. Their website is very easy to use as well as their own VPN software that is provided, you simply enter your username and password then you're connected. They provide Secure Smart DNS and a VPN that is true no log data. Nord for example is over 60 where Cactus is only around 30, both comparisons for their yearly subscriptions. Cactus however provide multiple VPN locations and their Smart DNS for 54 per year, which i'm currently using. Download speeds are pretty good and never seem to drop, i've had the VPN connected on my phone for over 2 weeks since installing it and it's not dropped yet. If the connection does drop then their software (on mac/pc) will close any applications you do not want to use without a secure connection, then reopen once the VPN has reconnected.
- Submitted By Keisha Ford, on 01/21/2018It’s so cute and easy to use! Great thing, I can change whatever I want, whenever I want and open any website.
- Submitted By Damien Woods, on 11/06/2016Excellent! I switch my phones too often, I must say and it’s so good that I don’t have to go through all that trouble of subscribing all over again, erasing my old phone from my subscription, adding the new one… Very simple and useful!
- Submitted By Iris Barnaby, on 08/28/2016It works well, I watch Netflix all the time and can check any site, even when I’m on that restricted network at the library. I just don’t like so many options in my app, you know, I get confused sometimes since I’m not really sure what’s vpn, what’s proxy and what each of them does. Keep it simple, that’s the best.
NordVPN offers great speeds, lightweight services, and an excellent client to everyone looking to improve their privacy and access restricted websites and media just about anywhere in the world.