While the overall ranking of a VPN service provider may be a good indicator of its quality, this does not mean that it is necessarily best suited for your individual needs. The purpose of this NordVPN vs. VyprVPN comparison is to provide you with a clear and detailed comparative analysis of the services offered by these major VPN service providers.
While both offer high-quality VPN protection, they do differ in several important aspects. Read on and find out which one constitutes a better choice for you.
- Double encryption
- Netflix servers
- 3,500+ servers
- Extraordinary speeds
- 700+ servers
- NAT firewall
- Zero-knowledge DNS
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Magnus on 10/26/2019Since the beginning of October, NordVPN does not work in Hangzhou AT ALL! I can't vouch for other cities. Their support team is polite but useless. They conceded they needed to *invent* a new protocol to get their VPN to work here. Even though a refund was requested by me within 30 days (for a renewal--they were great for a year!), they refused to answer my request and kept stalling my support ticket. I'm still awaiting my refund. USE THEM AT YOUR PERIL IF YOU LIVE IN CHINA! Caveat emptor!!
- Submitted By Sammi on 09/17/2019Love these guys even after having it for 2 years. Super fast and makes me feel safer online.
- Submitted By Nome Loplagies on 09/02/2019NordVPN with USA servers, using it from Mexico with Netflix, EPIX, STARZ, Dish, and Roku channels: Pioneer TV 50” 4K, software version: V8-MS86MNA-LF1V136, flawlessly working Netflix App 4.3.5 since I bought it Roku devices, every two weeks VPN client server needs to be change because Netflix add it to its blacklist. Other Apps in Roku devices like STARZ, CBS All access, NBC, Epix, Pandora, PBS, etc. from Dish subscription are working without a flaw Local network (wired and wireless) is through an Asus router RT-AC3100 ISP is TelMex, fiber optics link, DMZ port designated on primary router from ISP for Asus router Routine as follows: 1) Download latest UDP servers from NordVPN 2) Find optimal USA servers with phone VPN app 3) Choose from newest UDP servers on list, matching better performance ones 4) Apply new profile to Asus or edit and upload .ovpn file 5) Reset Roku to test new VPN settings
- Submitted By GLV on 08/19/2019I just spent 3 weeks in China. (July-August 2019). I was able to access Google and banned sites without problems. (Option: "Obfuscated Servers"). I used my Android smartphone and my Windows 10 ultrabook with NordVPN applications. I was using Wi-Fi and a Chinese 4G LTE SIM card from "China Telecom". Obviously the connection was sometimes lost. But overall I am very happy to have chosen NordVPN. This goes through the Great Firewall of China (GFW) ! My only concern was during very big download (+1GB) on Western servers. Very slow, if not impossible. (This being more a concern for server redundancy in Asia than VPN). But to surf normally, for music or YouTube, WeChat, Signal, etc. no problem. [GLV - Switzerland]
- Submitted By D Kanellos on 08/16/2019Based on positive reviews, I tried VyprVPNs risk free trial. As is customary amongst many providers, they charge your credit card on enrollment. The IP address assigned geolocated to three different countries, apparently had not completed transition. My streaming traffic was blocked for in-country restriction. Contacting support was no help of course so I canceled the service. Three inquiries and several weeks later, no refund. Doing my part to inform the public. Buyer beware.
- Submitted By Peter Samuel on 03/28/2019I can describe this VPN as a DISASTER!I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS VPN!TRIAL VERSION??? There is no trial version without your credit card or PayPal address and payment!!!Except that VPN demands your POSTAL CODE, without it you cannot register for a TRIAL 3 day version.After this HELL, I could not log in and I had to change my password, After this "password change disaster" I got this message from vyprvpn:"Internal Server Error: Our server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. The appropriate people have been notified, and the problem will be corrected shortly.We apologize for any inconvenience."
- Submitted By John on 03/05/2019First, to be fair, I have to mention that the VPN service itself is okay. It usually works, has lots of servers to choose from and is relatively stable.It's worth noting however that if you use Vypr from China, there has been lot of downtime lately (late 2018 to early 2019), sometimes up to 3 weeks at a time.Now, my big complaint is that they seem to have really shady business practices with paying customers.I first registered with VyprVPN in 2014 with what they called at the time a PRO account, paying $99.99/year for the service. In 2017, the PRO service was discontinued and replaced with what they call the PREMIUM service, costing $80/year. Problem is, they never informed me or other customers by email about this so, if you didn't personally change from PRO to Premium in account settings, you would still be paying $99.99 yearly for their $80 Premium service, which I did until today.When I contacted their customer service about this, all they could manage to say was that it wasn't their responsibility to change their customer's payment plan and that they could do nothing about the extra money I had been paying them for the last 2 years.So, for the last 2 years, I paid VyprVPN either $19.99 or $39.98 extra that I didn't have to pay (depending on when in 2017 they switched from PRO to Premium).Might not seem like a lot but when you consider that they probably have thousands + customers and that I'm unlikely to be the only one with this problem...Terrible service!
- Submitted By John Nichol on 07/19/2017Good VPN, but what’s up with the log keeping? They should really think about changing that, they would get a lot more users.
NordVPN is widely known as one of the best services on the market thanks to its impressive features, bulletproof security setup, and knowledgeable 24/7 customer support. Read more in this honest review.
What follows is a comprehensive analysis of the features available with NordVPN and VyprVPN, organized in accordance with 7 crucial aspects of VPN protection, including but not limited to reliability, device compatibility, performance, security, support, and price.
- NordVPN offers native apps for Windows 7, 8, and 10, Android, iOS, and macOS and it can be set up manually on Windows Vista/XP, Linux, DrayTek, FlashRouters, Tomato, Synology, Asustor, ASUS WRT/MERLIN/PADAVAN, OpenWrt, QNAP, Blackberry, Raspberry Pi, Firestick, Kodi, and many other devices. It also comes with browser extensions for Chrome and Mozilla.
- VyprVPN has native apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, QNAP, routers, Blackphone, Android TV, and Anonabox. Manual setup is available for DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and AsusWRT routers, Synology NAS, Boxeee, and Blackberry devices.
- Apart from a great knowledgebase and FAQ section, NordVPN offers 24/7 user support through email and live chat. A ticket system and 24/7 phone support are not available with this VPN provider.
- VyprVPN customer support is at your disposal 24/7 via a ticket system and live chat. You can also reach them via email or take a look at the support section on the site and make use of their setup and troubleshooting instructions and comprehensive set of answers to FAQs.
- NordVPN offers a great choice of IP addresses, including static and dynamic shared IP addresses, as well as dedicated IPs.
- VyprVPN boasts an impressive number of shared dynamic IP addresses, with as many as 200 000 available to its users.
- With NordVPN, you can choose between four plans – one-month ($11.95 per month), 1 year ($6.99 per month), 2 years ($3.99 per month), and 3 years ($2.99 per month). Although there is no free trial, the provider does offer a great 30-day money-back guarantee.
- VyprVPN offers its basic subscription for $5/mo (if billed annually) and $9.95/mo (if billed monthly). The premium subscription plan costs $6.67/mo (if billed annually) and $12.95/mo (if billed monthly). Every subscription comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- NordVPN currently offers OpenVPN and IKEv2/IPsec protocols, with OpenVPN being the default option for Windows and Android and IKEv2/IPsec for macOS and iOS. Linux users have access to NordLynx, which is based on the WireGuard protocol.
- VyprVPN’s selection of protocols is wider than that of NordVPN and includes OpenVPN, PPTP, and L2TP/IPsec protocols, as well as Chameleon, which is a proprietary obfuscation option designed for countries like China.
Performance & Reliability
- NordVPN has over 5,100 servers located in 60+ countries around the world. There are no limits with respect to bandwidth, speed, and server switching. The provider allows P2P as well as up to 6 simultaneous connections.
- VyprVPN has 700+ servers in 70+ world countries. It offers unlimited bandwidth, server switching, and speed and allows up to 3 simultaneous connections with the basic subscription and up to 5 with the premium plan. It also allows P2P but warns its users against any illegal downloads.
Security & Protection
- NordVPN has an internet kill switch, WiFi protection, and double AES-256 encryption. It also applies a full no-logs policy and allows users to pay using BitCoin. The CyberSec feature will restrict your access to suspicious websites and allow you to avoid any malware programs that could potentially harm your computer.
- VyprVPN uses first-party DNS servers and comes equipped with an internet kill switch, WiFi protection, NAT firewall, and AES-256 data encryption. It has a no-logging policy. Paying with cryptocurrencies is not available.