While the overall ranking of a VPN service provider may be a good indicator of its quality, this does not mean that it is necessarily best suited for your individual needs. The purpose of this NordVPN vs. VyprVPN comparison is to provide you with a clear and detailed comparative analysis of the services offered by these major VPN service providers.
While both offer high-quality VPN protection, they do differ in several important aspects. Read on and find out which one constitutes a better choice for you.
- Double encryption
- Netflix servers
- 3,500+ servers
- Extraordinary speeds
- 700+ servers
- NAT firewall
- Zero-knowledge DNS
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Andrew B on 12/10/2018The best ever VPN service that I've been tried before. LOTs of servers on every piece of this world. I am really appreciated that guys doing to be the best of the VPN service providers and at the same time being provide features like dedicated IP. Thanks nordvpn team!
- Submitted By Nafran on 10/26/2018I have NordVPN for almost a year and in these past couple of months I noticed quite a few improvements on the service as well as the application UX. The speed seems to have increased by at least 20mbps and I really like cybersec feature. All in all would recommend to anyone, especially if it was slightly cheaper.
- Submitted By Steve Payne on 09/21/2018Verify that NordVPN's speed is acceptable through your internet connection before you sign up long-term or before the 30 day refund window expires. My ISP, Xfinity, gets 480 Mbps download when connected normally. If I connect via NordVPN, it drops to 8 Mbps. I have tried multiple configuration changes suggested by NordVPN support and none have made a significant difference. It's not just my Windows 10 systems(wired). It's very slow on my iPhone(wireless) and on my Raspberry Pi3B+ (wired). NordVPN support has been responsive they just haven't been capable of solving this problem. They don't appear to have the level of technical expertise or diagnostic tools available to support to find why NordVPN is so slow when the usual configuration changes aren't the issue.
- Submitted By John Smith on 08/18/2018I got a good deal on three years of NordVPN and went for it. I am new to VPNs (besides having tried hide.me for free for limited P2P usage) so it's possible other companies offer better services. Overall while I am satisfied with the service so far, there are a few ways it could be improved. I receive gigabit internet (usually around 500-800mbps in practical terms) but NordVPN is usually stuck around 100mbps - fine for regular usage, but limits the usefulness of my PC when connected to VPN. That said there are thousands of servers to choose from so YMMV. Certain websites don't play well with NordVPN as well, most notably Amazon. I'm unsure if that's a problem with other VPNs. Some positives: it's fairly quick to connect, the interface is simple, the kill switch is great, the mobile app is excellent and there is a huge choice of servers. Overall it works fine for my application - P2P, which it has dedicated servers for - but there a few frustrations I'd like to see resolved.
- Submitted By John Nichol on 07/19/2017Good VPN, but what’s up with the log keeping? They should really think about changing that, they would get a lot more users.
- Submitted By Janine Foster, on 06/21/2017This is the best VPN I’ve ever installed and I’ve installed dozen, just to be clear. It works great at home, it works great when I travel, no complaints whatsoever! Even when I’m abroad it feels like I’m home because I can surf the net without a single obstacle.
- Submitted By Lina Li, on 04/30/2017I’ve used much, much better VPNs before and Vypr is just nah. It works, yes, but sometimes I wonder whether it works for me or against me. It drops out quite often, makes my internet slow and I can’t even torrent. The only thing I manage to do is to open Facebook when I’m in China, but it’s slow as well.
- Submitted By Roger Jameson, on 03/28/2017We’ve been struggling with trashy vpns for years and I was so happy when we discovered Vypr. We’re on premium, so the whole family uses it. Movies are streaming, files are uploading, everything works great.
NordVPN offers great speeds, lightweight services, and an excellent client to everyone looking to improve their privacy and access restricted websites and media just about anywhere in the world.
What follows is a comprehensive analysis of the features available with NordVPN and VyprVPN, organized in accordance with 7 crucial aspects of VPN protection, including but not limited to reliability, device compatibility, performance, security, support and price.
- NordVPN is compatible with nearly any operating system or platform, including Windows, Linux, Mac, iPhone, Android and Windows Phone, as well as routers, but it is not designed to be used on Xbox.
- VyprVPN is compatible with Windows, Linux, Mac, iPhone, Android and various routers. However, it cannot be used on Xbox and Windows Phone.
- Apart from the great knowledgebase and FAQ section, NordVPN offers user support through email and live chat. Ticket system and 24/7 phone support are not available with this VPN provider.
- VyprVPN customer support is at your disposal 24/7 via phone and live chat. You can also reach them via email or take a look at the support section of their site and make use of their setup and troubleshooting instructions and a comprehensive set of answers to FAQs.
- NordVPN offers a great choice of IP addresses, including static and dynamic shared IP addresses, as well as dedicated IPs.
- VyprVPN boasts an impressive number of shared dynamic IP addresses, with as many as 200 000 available to its users.
- With NordVPN, you can choose between three plans – one-month, six-month and yearly plan. The prices per month are $11.95 with monthly subscription, $7 with six-month subscription and $5.75 if you subscribe for a year. Although there is no free trial, the provider does offer a great 30-day money-back guarantee.
- VyprVPN offers its basic subscription for $5/mo (if billed annually) and $9.95/mo (if billed monthly). Premium subscription plan costs $6.67/mo (if billed annually) and $12.95/mo (if billed monthly). If you wish to give it a try, you can make use of the 3-day free trial. The subscriptions also come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- NordVPN offers three different security protocols, including OpenVPN, L2TP, and PPTP. Unfortunately, SSTP is not included in its protocol selection.
- VyprVPN’s selection of protocols is wider than that of NordVPN and includes OpenVPN, PPTP and L2TP protocols, as well as Chameleon, its own encryption protocol. Like in the case of NordVPN, SSTP protocol is not available.
Performance & Reliability
- NordVPN has over 1,700 servers located in 61 countries around the world. There are no limits in respect to bandwidth, speed and server switching. The provider allows P2P as well as up to 6 simultaneous connections.
- VyprVPN has 712 servers in 70+ world countries. It offers unlimited bandwidth, server switching and speed and allows up to 3 simultaneous connections. However, it does not allow P2P.
Security & Protection
- On the upside, NordVPN has an internet kill switch, WiFi protection and AES-256 encryption. It also applies a full no-logs policy and allows users to pay using BitCoin. However, NAT firewall, split tunneling and ad and malware blockers are also not available.
- VyprVPN uses first-party DNS servers and comes equipped with internet kill switch, WiFi protection, NAT firewall and AES-256 data encryption. Unfortunately, it keeps some logs of your traffic, but this can be avoided by using VyprDNS. A BitCoin payment option is not available.