Smart DNS Proxy and VyprVPN are considered to be among the best VPN companies in the world. To an inexperienced eye, they may seem almost identical. Users interested in getting a VPN often face a dilemma concerning which of these two to go for and which provider is better for their particular needs.
- Excellent speeds
- Rather affordable
- 14-day free trial
- Allows torrenting
- Extraordinary speeds
- 700+ servers
- NAT firewall
- Zero-knowledge DNS
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By paul on 10/13/2019iam not in my 3 year with smart DNS proxy in canada were i live i have only one choice of a internet , that onlu gaves me 15 MPS and smart dns proxy works verry good for me on all my devices and on my 65 inch sony android smart tv i even get 4k shows andmovies
- Submitted By Gordon andrade on 03/15/2019They started off having access to a whole load of netflix regions but now it's only the US. I am unable to understand why their service is unable to work on my smart tv or fire stick.. works perfectly on my ps3.. their support though 24/7 says change router.. seriously.. I've been with them for 3 years. Time to change.. I'm sure there are better ones
- Submitted By Jon Beckson on 10/26/2018Unstable and unreliable. I e had nothing much more than problems with this service. I just wanted something simple that allowed me to view Netflix and various UK tv catch up services. What I’ve got is a system that constantly fails to obscure my location. I co tact the support and am told to go into my router and change all manner if settings, I’m not computer geek!. I’ve do e this twice at their behest and now it’s stopoed workojg again and they want me to change a load more settings . I give up,with it, it’s very poor and not what I expected.
- Submitted By Bilou on 01/11/2018Review: I've tested many DNS proxy and VPN providers for hours to test features & VPN configuration over different protocols in order to reach the best streaming performance from South Africa and SmartDNS proxy turned out to be the fastest but also the easiest to set up on a DD-WRT based router whether for basic DNS proxy or VPN using the standard DD-WRT openvpn client interface. For me the advantages / limitations noticed are as follow: SmartDNS proxy (proxy only) pros: - easy to set up - automatic update features available for DD-WRT routers - works with netflix (intermittent disruptions due to Netflix ban engine probably that kicks in sometimes) - works with europe / us tv channels cons: - intermittent disruptions noted on Netflix which "detects proxy" SmartDNS proxy using their VPN engine: pros: - fastest & stable of all VPN providers tested - easy and straightforward OpenVPN protocol configuration on DD-WRT - app on iOS does 100% the job - works 100% with European TV channels (better and faster than using just a DNS proxy despite the encryption involved) cons: - does not work with Netflix (when using OpenVPN)
- Submitted By D Kanellos on 08/16/2019Based on positive reviews, I tried VyprVPNs risk free trial. As is customary amongst many providers, they charge your credit card on enrollment. The IP address assigned geolocated to three different countries, apparently had not completed transition. My streaming traffic was blocked for in-country restriction. Contacting support was no help of course so I canceled the service. Three inquiries and several weeks later, no refund. Doing my part to inform the public. Buyer beware.
- Submitted By Peter Samuel on 03/28/2019I can describe this VPN as a DISASTER! I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS VPN! TRIAL VERSION??? There is no trial version without your credit card or PayPal address and payment!!! Except that VPN demands your POSTAL CODE, without it you cannot register for a TRIAL 3 day version. After this HELL, I could not log in and I had to change my password, After this "password change disaster" I got this message from vyprvpn: "Internal Server Error: Our server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. The appropriate people have been notified, and the problem will be corrected shortly. We apologize for any inconvenience."
- Submitted By John on 03/05/2019First, to be fair, I have to mention that the VPN service itself is okay. It usually works, has lots of servers to choose from and is relatively stable. It's worth noting however that if you use Vypr from China, there has been lot of downtime lately (late 2018 to early 2019), sometimes up to 3 weeks at a time. Now, my big complaint is that they seem to have really shady business practices with paying customers. I first registered with VyprVPN in 2014 with what they called at the time a PRO account, paying $99.99/year for the service. In 2017, the PRO service was discontinued and replaced with what they call the PREMIUM service, costing $80/year. Problem is, they never informed me or other customers by email about this so, if you didn't personally change from PRO to Premium in account settings, you would still be paying $99.99 yearly for their $80 Premium service, which I did until today. When I contacted their customer service about this, all they could manage to say was that it wasn't their responsibility to change their customer's payment plan and that they could do nothing about the extra money I had been paying them for the last 2 years. So, for the last 2 years, I paid VyprVPN either $19.99 or $39.98 extra that I didn't have to pay (depending on when in 2017 they switched from PRO to Premium). Might not seem like a lot but when you consider that they probably have thousands + customers and that I'm unlikely to be the only one with this problem...Terrible service!
- Submitted By John Nichol on 07/19/2017Good VPN, but what’s up with the log keeping? They should really think about changing that, they would get a lot more users.
One of the strongest players on the VPN market, VyprVPN will impress you with its number of servers and IP addresses and superb security features. Great choice for protecting your online privacy.